Talk

Advanced search

100cm oven 90cm cooker hood?

(12 Posts)
Littlefish54 Wed 10-May-17 21:11:49

I have fallen in love with a 100cm range but am having problems finding a cooker hood to go with it. I am tall and hate normal hoods as I always bash my head on them so am looking at the new angled ones (which look a bit like TV screens!). The difficulty is that there seems to be virtually no choice at 100cm so I would be looking at having to shell out £1400+ for a Britannia Omaggioshock!

My question is, would a 90cm look silly? There is a Bosch one (DWK098E51B) which is stainless steel and glass and would be about £680. Would that look ok with a 100cm stainless steel range?

Any further suggestions welcome! Thanks!

Whattodowithaminute Wed 10-May-17 22:01:26

I'm sure someone more knowledgeable will be along soon but questions which popped knot my mind were; type of hob? Gas/electric/induction?

I don't think a smaller hood will adequately extract a larger hob, regardless of the aesthetics... does depend on how you cook though

wowfudge Wed 10-May-17 22:08:31

We have a 1100mm cooker and a 900mm angled glass cooker hood. Looks fine and there is a fair gap between the induction plates and the hob edges so extractor efficiency isn't an issue. I can't post a photo as the extractor was removed when the tiling was done and it hasn't been put back yet.

Littlefish54 Wed 10-May-17 22:52:08

Thank you both.Glad to hear that your smaller extractor looks fine!

It’s going to be an induction hob, so I think that hoods are less important than they would be for gas. It looks like a fairly powerful extractor so I imagine from that point of view should be ok. The Britannia one is just extortionate!

PigletJohn Thu 11-May-17 02:25:25

Wider is better than narrower so it can catch sideways drift off the hob.

Elica do some suckers designed to be installed in top-box canopies.

Their website is awful so ask for their catalogue which you can browse.

Dadsussex Thu 11-May-17 07:17:29

How tall are you? I'm 6'2" and have a range master hi lite 100cm hood, www.rangemaster.co.uk/products/hoods-splashbacks/flat-hood-collection/flat-hood-collection

And I have no issue at all with my height and the hood?

Not sure if I'm missing anything here?

Are your ceilings low? If so the hood doesn't have to be extended to full height and instead can be reduced to suit

Littlefish54 Thu 11-May-17 14:29:20

Dadsussex our kitchen height at that point will be 240cm, the min height of the rangemaster chimney is 74cm (plus a further 7cm for the flat bit) so would come down to about 160cm. I am 5ft 10 (178cm) so it would be right in my way! That's why I am quite keen on the idea of a screen one, just there are so few at 100cm. The ceiling is actually very high (well over 3m) but the cooker will be going in the bit where the ceiling slopes down.

To be effective it seems like hoods are meant to be quite low, but I always hit my head on chimney ones. We won't be having units about the cooker so can't use one that sticks to a cupboard.

PigletJohn Thu 11-May-17 14:58:21

so don't get a chimney one.

the canopy ones are in the region of 330mm deep, and can touch the ceiling if you want
elica.com/WW-en/system/files_force/elibloc_ht_2014_tech_6.jpg?download=1

Or get a good simple hood, though somebody told me they look old-fashioned now.
www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Manufacturers/Elica/Cooker_Hoods/

I don't know why some installers like to put extractors at a height you can bang with your head.

this one is hidden in a cupboard but you don't have to have a cupboard. It is usual to put an enclosure round them.
johnlewis.scene7.com/is/image/JohnLewis/233088952alt1?$prod_main$

wowfudge Thu 11-May-17 15:27:15

Littlefish we had the same issue in our new kitchen as there is restricted head height above the cooker. I am a lot shorter than you though and the main issue was enough clearance above the hob to meet regs. I spent ages researching different cooker hoods and looking at the measurements. We have a Baumatic angled glass extractor. AEG do them too - I've seen a couple in Wickes' kitchen section - as do Elica. They tend to be expensive, certainly more expensive than many of the canopy type.

nemno Thu 11-May-17 15:36:57

I've got an Expelair that is just a white plastic box (I've got white walls), it is switched and adjusted by my light switches at the door to the room. It is very unobtrusive, easy to clean and leaves my whole wall clearish, I have no wall cupboards.

Littlefish54 Thu 11-May-17 18:31:30

Thank you everyone! I will go away and look at all those different options! Very much appreciated!

cazzyc Fri 12-May-17 14:07:54

We did this exact thing in our old house and I obsessed about it! It looked absolutely fine in the end, totally forgot about it!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now