Talk

Advanced search

Replacing Windows

(13 Posts)
Cabbagewhite728 Wed 10-May-17 20:45:02

We are just looking to replace the windows in our house and didn't want to put white pvc in. We have spoken to 4 companies ... Enlightened Windows who are our favourite, Velfac who are cheap but I've read some pretty poor reviews for them , safe style and Everest . Both the latter were furiously expensive. We are considering composite windows which are made from wood and aluninium on the outside. Does anyone have any experience good or bad on the companies I've listed or any knowledge about the product?

Cabbagewhite728 Wed 10-May-17 20:46:35

We also want to put in some bifold doors if anyone has suggestions of good ones

johnd2 Wed 10-May-17 23:46:33

Oh we had 2 phases of Velfac windows including massive sliding and swing rear facade, and everything has been excellent including customer service. Where did you hear bad stuff?
We only bought because we rented a flat with them and were good.
I'd recommend using an approved fitter though, as they don't attach to the opening the same as normal windows apparently!

NoMudNoLotus Thu 11-May-17 00:04:28

Avoid Everest & Safestyle.

Solo Thu 11-May-17 00:14:10

Safestyle were utter rubbish in my brothers last rental. They were put in, the frames didn't fit properly, the making good was poor and the windows weren't straight. I'd never go for them and they were the cheap windows too.

chickpeaburger Thu 11-May-17 08:19:03

I too have heard dreadful things about Safestyle (and Everest). Don't know about the others but I'm doing research on the subject too.

Synthaprufe Thu 11-May-17 08:32:03

Hi, We had Velfac in our last property, had french doors, sliding doors and casement t windows as well as 2 x entry doors. All amazing. Brilliant guarantee as well. Had a problem with one of the entry doors eight years down the line and it was immediately replaced no problem. In my next house I wouldn't even consider any other brand now. The sound reduction is brilliant too!!

johnd2 Thu 11-May-17 10:10:38

Oh yes I forgot to mention the reason we looked Velfac was we live on a main road, we got the triple glazed for the same price as the double in the end, and the one we chose the outside pane is slightly thicker to stop the sound coming through!

CottonSock Thu 11-May-17 10:11:27

Don't give everest your phone number.... pests

Solo Thu 11-May-17 23:22:56

Never heard of Velfac; are they expensve?

johnd2 Fri 12-May-17 00:41:15

Velfac are not cheap, but compared with the other composite (timber with alu outside) they are quite cheap.
The main drawback is you have to pay the fitter and Velfac separately as they don't have their own installers, just a recommended list of independent installers.
If you get a quote from them, ask for the discount to be applied as it's quite a lot, no one pays list price!

Solo Fri 12-May-17 09:30:53

Thanks johnd2 . Sounds out of my pocket range.

AlwaysaLittleBitTired Fri 12-May-17 09:46:52

We're just embarking on the same project for our house, replacing the old timber windows. I had a small local company come out yesterday to discuss options and he has gone away to prepare quotes for flush casements and stormproof casements (made from some form of 'nice' upvc - Google 'Heritage Flush Casement') and also for accoya, which is a modified timber that is rotless and can be sprayed to any colour.

Do you have any local smaller companies near you? I wanted to steer clear of the nationals to avoid the heavy discounting palaver and hard sell.
Our neighbours just had another comapny replace their white upvc with new white upvc and they're terrible - they look like cheap plastic windows and the fitters made a terrible mess including with the render around the edges of the windows. Ireally want to avoid that look.

Colour is a big issue for us I no longer want the dark frames that we currently have. I don't want to hijack your post, so might start a new colour thread! I have a photo smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now