Talk

Advanced search

Diy kitchens

(10 Posts)
Jennifaerie Wed 10-May-17 08:29:16

I'm currently planning a kitchen for new house and wondered whether anyone had had any issues with diy kitchens. I'm going to their showroom on Friday but wanted to know how they compare to howdens.

The howdens design has needed a lot of changes as things were forgotten etc. And they planned in too many narrow cupboards, bin in a funny place etc. Plus it looks like DIY could be around 3k cheaper . Hoping people like them 😂😂

Equimum Wed 10-May-17 08:41:49

We were advised to get a Howdens kitchen by our kitchen fitter. We went with DIY due to the price difference, and put fitter insisted the kitchen was actually better quality than the Howdens. We've been really pleased from the start....altering orders, delivery etc was all very straightforward, and the kitchen looks great in situ.

wowfudge Wed 10-May-17 15:49:52

DIY don't design your kitchen for you, but they will sense check and price up a design you've had done elsewhere. They have a downloadable planner so you could measure up and do that before you go then go through it at the showroom.

OnePlanOnHouzz Thu 11-May-17 02:33:31

None of the people I've designed DIY kitchens for have ever come back and said it's not good ! All seem really happy and positive ! They will price up an annotated and listed drawing for you too, if you provide one ! ( easier than trying to do it all yourself online)
So all good !

Gighasmokedhalibutisawesome Thu 11-May-17 09:49:24

We have just installed our DIY kitchen and are absolutely thrilled with it, the quality and the low price. The discipline of having to plan it ourselves made us really think about how it would all work, and the support was very good. They have thought of pretty much everything in terms of available units and sizes, they really know their stuff and most importantly are happy to share. I visited the (very busy) showroom too, just to see the finish for myself and I dont think you will be disappointed.

Looking at the huge variety of units on their website was invaluable too and might give you some ideas about improving your base design before you visit.

One piece of advice, remember their business model expects you to have put in a bit of effort in what you want, and they are quite er, straightforward in their advice. No doubt the Yorkshire location! But dont expect fluffy arty lifestyle consultants. (thank goodness).

All our units were painted to order in F&B black blue (for not very much more) with soft close doors and glass drawer sides etc, so we dont feel we have settled for a standard high street product in any way. You get a whole lot for your money. Enjoy your showroom visit.

wowfudge Thu 11-May-17 10:27:59

We have a DIY Kitchens painted kitchen - not quite finished - but the quality is lovely. The aftersales service has been very good too. They have a minimum order value but if you need extra bits and pieces after your original order has been processed they waive that.

roses2 Thu 11-May-17 12:52:36

We bought our kitchen one year ago from DIY Kitchens. You have to measure yourself (they were not much help when I sent them the diagrams) however the quality vs cost was outstanding and we were so pleased with them.

Bellatrixandstrange Fri 12-May-17 03:25:12

I love ours and our fitter was very impressed with be quality. Their service was really helpful from pricing the design to delivery. They were thousands cheaper than howdens too. Our builder saw it after it had been fitted and is using them for his kitchen despite bus howdens discount.

kmini Fri 12-May-17 06:41:23

Very pleased. Just installing our 2nd this week!

AnnieAnoniMouse Fri 12-May-17 13:45:16

😫 every time I think I've ruled something in or out something like this comes up and I'm back to square one!

My kitchen fitter shuddered when I mentioned DIY kitchens. But he will fit whatever I ask him to.

Benchmarx guy has just been. I like their kitchens well enough but the guy was hopeless.

I wish I could wake up tomorrow & it would just be done! This is not fun.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now