Advanced search

Planning query, please help!

(15 Posts)
NC4T Mon 08-May-17 20:10:11

The back of our house does not run in a straight line.... essentially there is a jutting out part in the kitchen which stands a metre proud of the rest of the back of the house. It's not a lean to or an add on, it's the original brick line.

If we do a rear extension under permitted development, can we go three metres out from the back of the jut, or three metres back from the rest of the house? The jut out probably forms 40% of the back brick line.

Like this

I. I
I. I
---------------------- I

Many thanks for any help

NC4T Mon 08-May-17 20:10:55

OK! Forget that crap diagram I tried to do. Hopefully you can get it from the description.

Indaba Mon 08-May-17 20:20:32

Phone Building Control at your local council tomorrow. They can advise. It's free and you can do it annonomously....,though not sure you would need to do with this. We have done loads of stuff with various councils over the years and they have been very helpful where ever we have lived. Even if they say it's PD generally worth getting a certificate of lawfulness anyway. They will explain it all by phone. Good luck with your works.

wowfudge Mon 08-May-17 20:30:44

Have you found the government householder guidance online? You can only develop a maximum 50% of the curtilage around the building. Where there is a stepped wall, as in your case, you couldn't extend 3 metres from the section that sticks out the furthest and extend out from the other section to meet that. So max 3 metres out from the rest of the house, not the bit that juts out. You could even it up with your extension though.

jigster01 Mon 08-May-17 23:35:55

We have a similar set up I think .....We have gone out 5m and the architect said it has to go from the back of the house and not the 'jut' can make it out from the photo - ( I think that's what you mean ) ours is also around a metre...

KimKardashiansArse Tue 09-May-17 07:34:32

I don't think any of these replies are right. Building control deal with building regs not planning permission and you can extend 3m from the jutting out bit but only 3m from the inner part too and the restrictions on side extensions apply there too (can't be more than half the width of the house) so you can't build a wrap around extension. There's also the neighbourhood consultation scheme at the moment that extend the 3m to 6m with consultation. Still can't wrap around though.

Best thing to do is read this booklet which explains it all:

KimKardashiansArse Tue 09-May-17 07:36:59

Page 20 and page 24 useful diagrams

wowfudge Tue 09-May-17 15:26:53

Ahem Kim my reply was correct!

KimKardashiansArse Tue 09-May-17 18:12:10

Sorry for any offence fudge! But I don't think your post isright. I think the OP is in a tricky position because the restrictions on side extensions will apply. I don't think the OP can build out full width even just 3m from the non-jutting bit because PD rights in relation to side extensions say you can't build more than 50% of the width of the house. I think if the OP wants a wrap around extension he/she will need PP.

KimKardashiansArse Tue 09-May-17 18:14:42

OP - that booklet explains PD rights in great detail but it is quite complicated. Your local planning department may informally give you advice or offer a more formal pre-application advice process that you'll have to pay for.

KimKardashiansArse Tue 09-May-17 18:18:49

Page 24 "Rear and side extensions" is the relevant bit.

wowfudge Tue 09-May-17 18:19:37

The OP specifically wants to know about PD from a stepped wall. Obviously the other rules will come in to play.

NC4T Tue 09-May-17 21:16:26

Thanks all!

KimKardashiansArse Wed 10-May-17 00:05:57

That's what I've explained Fudge... If the OP wants to extend from the inner wall of the step he / she will need to consider the rules in relation to both rear and side extensions (not just the rules in relation to rear extensions that you've mentioned in your post).

Indaba Fri 12-May-17 20:04:55

Oops. Yes you are right. It's planning not BC. So used to posting on MN "just phone your local council" but slipped up this time and referred to wrong dept. We have done loads of work in various areas and without exception councils have been really helpful.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: