Talk

Advanced search

Would you leave or move an expensive wardrobe?

(21 Posts)
StripyBlanket Fri 05-May-17 19:40:28

We have a gorgeous non fitted wardrobe which cost us £1000 (gulp!) recently. Although it will fit in the new house, it will be far too big and I'm not really sure I want to take it. In addition, the removal men are quoting £200 to dismantle and then build again.

We will offer it to our buyers, but not sure how much we would want paying for it, anyone have any experiences? Or indeed a cheaper way to move it?

SmokeCloak Fri 05-May-17 19:41:50

Your buyers might not want it though.

Out2pasture Fri 05-May-17 19:43:24

If it's built in, the house price should reflect its value.

Heathcliffitsme Fri 05-May-17 19:44:27

I had a local handyman dismantle mine for about £40.

LuluJakey1 Fri 05-May-17 19:45:06

A little local oddjob man will do it for £50- dismantle and re-assemble it.
But if you can afford to spend £1000 on a wardrobe recently and not know if you want to be bothered with the fuss, I'm not sure what you are worrying about.

CakeThat Fri 05-May-17 20:06:30

If the new buyers don't want it could you advertise it on a local selling site? Say it will need to be dismantled before collection? You might as well get a little money for it.

StripyBlanket Fri 05-May-17 20:24:19

Okay thanks. Handyman sounds like a much better idea if we want to move it.

Now I've got to decide how much to offer it to our buyers for.

ACatCalledFang Fri 05-May-17 20:33:36

Watching with interest - we have a similar dilemma except there are two wardrobes involved, the more expensive one of which is in mint condition despite being nine years old (though cost somewhat less than £1000 grin). We're moving to a house with fitted wardrobes and I can't see either of these fitting into the bedrooms.

Did anyone here buy furniture from their vendors? If so, how much did you pay? We're throwing quite a few things into the sale at no cost (white goods, blinds, light fittings, etc, mainly because it's easier to leave them and feels like the right thing to do) so are not being grabby but I'd want something for the more expensive wardrobe.

Kokusai Sat 06-May-17 13:19:09

I sold lots of furniture to my buyers at a pretty minimal cost. I weighed up how much stuff like that went for on gum tree and then knocked about 50% off that to compensate for lack of mucking around with gumtree and to incentives the buyers to take the stuff!

DisappearingFish Sat 06-May-17 13:22:20

Second hand furniture doesn't fetch much sadly but I would be inclined to offer it to your buyers first.

OdinsLoveChild Sat 06-May-17 13:27:32

I would request the amount it would cost to move it. If your removal firm wants £200 then thats what I'd ask for it.

Though solid wood wardrobes at auction go for around the £50 mark. First time buyers usually want modern and new so possibly wont want it if they're ftb.

bojorojo Sat 06-May-17 17:07:20

We have fitted wardrobes that were way more than this and they could not be moved if we moved. They are part of the house like a kitchen. With freestanding, you can offer it to the buyers but they may have their own wardrobes, or not like them! They may want fitted. If they don't want them, it is your responsibility to take them with you or sell them at an auction-house or via eBay.

Middleoftheroad Sat 06-May-17 17:14:19

I would not want have wanted sellers furniture though and you won't nevessarily be doing them.a favour by quoting a price. I would have expected all furniture to be gone. However my aunt revemtly sold some furniture with house but got very little for an expensive Italian sofa - i'd take it with you given cost to replace. when we moved getting wardrobes up was a priority and you may be lost without one!

Middleoftheroad Sat 06-May-17 17:15:37

sorry - see it has fitted. in that case i'd offer buyer first refusal then advertise it

ACatCalledFang Sat 06-May-17 20:14:07

Thanks, that's useful. Obviously if the buyers don't want them, we would see if anyone local wants to buy them, and would arrange for them to be removed prior to completion - we wouldn't just leave them behind!

They may not want them, as they're wooden (though not old dark wood), but equally as they're FTBs they may not have much furniture so might at least want the free one to tide them over.

We might be able to take one with us but think it is too big for the room and as there are fitted ones in place, it might not be the best idea.

bojorojo Sun 07-May-17 01:32:58

Can one go in your hall for coat storage?

ACatCalledFang Sun 07-May-17 07:37:20

Not if we're to get into the kitchen! grin

But possibly in the dining room for general storage, actually....would that look really weird?

RancidOldHag Sun 07-May-17 07:43:56

I would refuse to pay anything additional for fixtures and fittings.

If the buyers take them away with them, that's fine.

NoSquirrels Sun 07-May-17 07:48:13

Just offer to the buyers. £250? If they don't want it, go from there.

Kokusai Mon 08-May-17 08:37:35

I would request the amount it would cost to move it. If your removal firm wants £200 then thats what I'd ask for it.

What's your thinking behind that? The move cost has no impact on the market value of the wardrobe (minimal), which needs to be heavily discounted to provide for the fact that the OP doesn't have to pay to move it/buyers probably won't love it.

For £200 or £250 you can get a nice swish ikea PAX gloss white sliding door jobby.

I'd only take a vendors furniture to 'tide me over' if it was a great price. Like £50.

skyzumarubble Mon 08-May-17 08:46:55

Our vendors just left their not cheap very big wardrobe behind. It was probably around that price point.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: