Talk

Advanced search

Ikea Hyllestad mattress odd/ horrible smell

(3 Posts)
user1493882373 Thu 04-May-17 08:35:15

Has anyone bought the medium firm version of this mattress and been bothered by an unpleasant smell? Could it be the layer of latex on the top under the mattress cover? We have had this for 2 weeks now and it continues to produce a smell which gets into the sheets and duvet.

ButDoYouAvocado Thu 04-May-17 09:19:54

If it's memory foam that's normal. I've had that with all the memory foam mattresses had. It does go away but I agree it's revolting.

TCBarks Wed 08-Nov-17 20:46:33

Yes, I have just purchased an Ikea mattress. A foam one.

On unwrapping it, I was immediately hit by a really unpleasant smell which is still there despite airing for 3 days outside.

I have ME ( hence the need for a mattress since my condition means I spend 22 out of every 24 hours in bed !)
Because my blood tests have confirmed that my condition is related to toxic chemicals, I have been advised to eat organic, and avoid any chemicals. I am alarmed by the smell coming off the mattress.

I have told Ikea about my medical condition, and as they only delivered it 3 days ago, and I have not slept on it I have asked them for a full refund. I will let you know how I get on.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now