Talk

Advanced search

Worcester bosch Greenstar 30si no heating

(9 Posts)
Damonlufc88 Sun 30-Apr-17 10:17:45

I've had this boiler 6 years now and it's been troublesome over this last winter. I thought it was finally fixed but I put my heating on this morning and after a hour I heard the boiler cut out.

Now I have a constant blue light on it (I've never noticed if this is the norm). I'm getting hot tap water OK aswell but my heating isn't even trying to fire in when I turn it on. I've noticed my salus thermostat only showing 1 red light it normally had a green light above it (not sure if that's only when I turn my heating on or not) hopefully a change of batteries and I'm good again but my salus fail isn't saying I need to change them

Busy77 Sun 30-Apr-17 10:40:26

I have the same one I think and used to have salus as well. There is an override switch for the heating - a red slide across switch- but our problem was resolved by changing the Salus box to a Honeywell as it was an electrical fault. Another way of testing the heating is turning it up really high - 25 or26 to kick start it

Whatdoiknow31 Sun 30-Apr-17 10:53:38

Does sound like a programmer not sending the signal to the boiler for heating.

If changing the batteries hasn't worked have a look on line for the instructions to pair the programmer with the receiver unit. They can become unpaired if the unit has been moved or you have thick walls.

Failing that you need a new programmer unfortunately. Sadly Salus are not the best, I would go for a Honeywell

Damonlufc88 Sun 30-Apr-17 12:53:04

Is their any way to override the thermostat and just revert to the basic boiler on/off switch?

Villagernumber9 Sun 30-Apr-17 13:28:16

Blue light on but no lockout reset button being used – This can be one of several different problems. The most common issue is that the boiler is not operating during the demands of the central heating system, or that it’s not able to work with your external roomstat timer.

Additionally, it could be the boiler not operating during the demand from the hot water or even during any typical demand – this is a big problem. When there is no operation from your central heating, you’ll want to have a look at your timers, your diverter valve and the control board.

If the boiler isn’t operating with your thermostats instruction, then you might find that the thermostat is damaged or that it is not giving enough power back. Otherwise, you want to be looking at either the fan of the control board for the problem. Again, this can be serious enough that it might require our assistance.

Whatdoiknow31 Sun 30-Apr-17 14:15:58

Villagenumber are you a heating engineer? Or did you copy and paste from a website?

Nothing wrong with fan or printed circuit board as op is getting hot water.

The Salus is not sending the correct signal for heating.

Cheapest solution is to change the programmer (if the changing the batteries or repairing didn't work) before paying for expensive call outs! Which the op can do themselves if they are good with diy

(Yes we are Accredited Worcester Diamond installers - not touting for business, just don't like scaremongering or others trying to tout for business on a site where people innocently come for advice)

Whatdoiknow31 Sun 30-Apr-17 14:31:37

Oh and op if the boiler is only 6years old try giving Worcester a call direct if the programmer does not resolve the issue.

Your boiler maybe under guarantee still in which case the repair won't cost you anything as they will send one of their own engineers out. Guarantees used to be 7years (now 8)

The only thing that is a 'big problem' or 'serious' on a gas boiler is a gas leak or main heat exchanger gone. Villagenumber, your choice of words could have been better. Put yourself in the op's shoes reading that, she would be in a real panic now!

Damonlufc88 Sun 30-Apr-17 14:54:13

Thanks guys @whatdoiknow31 big help and bit of a relief. I changed batteries earlier and the heating light did infact come on, but I dont want to leave the heating on as its quite warm today! but I'll be turning it on later. Hopefully its just the salus issue I'm not massive on my DIY I wished could go back to mu old boiler (albeit broken) where it was just the standard on/off switch.

Villagernumber9 Sun 30-Apr-17 16:57:05

Too be honest, whatdoiknow, skimmed read on internet and copy and paste.
Think I should have read it properly before doing it.
Normally I would ask if the boiler has been serviced within the last 12 months.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now