Talk

Advanced search

Small budget bathroom

(6 Posts)
noitsnotme Thu 27-Apr-17 23:22:15

Planning on replacing my entire bathroom in the next 5/6 months, but will only have a budget of about 3 - 3.5k for (parts and labour) without taking out a loan, credit card etc. Is this realistic? I don't want it to be totally basic, but it's a small bathroom and I also don't want to spend too much because the overall value of the flat isn't very much. But we've lived here a long time and the bathroom really is an embarrassment, so I really want something I love.

I read about bathrooms 3 and 4 times my budget on here, so just wondered if there's anyone who actually loves their bathroom on the lower end of the budget scale.

noitsnotme Fri 28-Apr-17 07:44:31

Bumping

JT05 Fri 28-Apr-17 09:51:52

We've replaced several bathrooms, what is interesting is the cost is mostly determined by a couple of factors.
Firstly, the spend on sanitary ware. Whether you go for high or low end the spend is the same regardless of the size of the room.
Moving the plumbing is expensive, so keep the toilet, basin bath and shower in the same place, if you can.
Next tiling, simple large tiles are the cheapest option, which highlights of more expensive ones. Not tiling all the walls also keeps the cost down.

mousehouse123 Fri 28-Apr-17 12:41:07

May depend on where you are, but yes, I'd say it's perfectly doable. Can you do any of it yourself? I think that tiling's quite straightforward as is decorating. Agree that it's easier/cheaper not to tile floor to ceiling.

Sanitaryware from places like Better Bathrooms can be really quite reasonable.

noitsnotme Fri 28-Apr-17 13:05:12

Thanks for the replies. I had started another thread in AIBU as no replies on here at that point . Here it is.

I'm not looking for anything too fancy in terms of the sanitary ware, and probably won't want vanity units, but I do want the shower moved to the opposite end of the bath, some shelving in a recessed space, nice tiles and some underfloor heating. But it's small floor space and I only want about 50% of the room tiled so that I can paint the rest and change the colour scheme if I want. I've priced the tiles, flooring, suite, shower, towel rail, etc for about £1000. Priced everything on Victoria Plumb, apart from tiles. Unfortunately, I don't have the first clue about labour costs and no one that I would ask to do any of it at mates rates.

There is absolutely no chance of me attempting any of it myself!

sizeofalentil Fri 28-Apr-17 14:14:24

Totally do-able.

Don't discount online shopping/gumtree/ebay for the sanitary wear - we found things that people had bought and changed their minds about and never installed, or things that had been taken out of new builds/ houses madeover by developers. We wanted vintage claw-foot tub etc. so were able to kit out our bathroom for £300.

We found Tile Mountain and Tonnes of Tiles were good for tile prices.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now