Talk

Advanced search

How quickly would you expect a house to sell once you put it on the market?

(15 Posts)
m0therofdragons Thu 27-Apr-17 22:58:21

I love my house but with 3 dc we could do with more space and can comfortably afford it. But, there are no houses I love on the market right now. Do we go for it and trust the right house will appear at the right time? Keeping the house immaculate with 3dc for months of viewings sounds horrendous (and I'm not a slob).

Maggy74653 Thu 27-Apr-17 23:05:33

Totally depends on where you are, what type of house you have and the price you go with.

Mine was an ideal FTB house and unusual to get a three bed house for that price in the area.

It sold in 9 days with three people bidding the first time, unfortunately the chain fell through but it sold within 6 days when we put it back on the market the second time.

Dishwashersaurous Fri 28-Apr-17 13:38:23

Realistically six weeks until offer is a sensible time frame provided you price appropriately.

Market at the moment is incredibly prize sensitive so price too high and nothing will happen.

sunnysouthend Fri 28-Apr-17 13:49:35

Depends where you are and the speed of you local market. Mine sold v quickly.
If you don't put it on then when your dream house comes up you likely won't get it, since they'll sell to someone proceedable rather than someone with a property yet to get on the market.

PippaFawcett Fri 28-Apr-17 13:53:24

Mine sold within 24hours. But it was an ideal FTB property in a coveted area, more expensive properties can take longer.

Fiona1984 Fri 28-Apr-17 13:56:29

Mine took 6 months, but its the type of house that would appeal to an investor, and we weren't willing to accept the low offers they were making

flownthecoopkiwi Fri 28-Apr-17 15:49:57

we sold ours quickly, but then couldn't find anything to buy (the house we had wanted turned into a complete nightmare). The chain waited for us and we love our new home!

m0therofdragons Fri 28-Apr-17 17:09:14

I hate the uncertainty of it all sad

Batteriesallgone Fri 28-Apr-17 17:12:26

Get three estate agents round to value. It's free. Ask them all how long they think it will take. Take the average, add a month to it.

Getting your house valued every so often is a useful thing to do anyway.

m0therofdragons Fri 28-Apr-17 18:34:25

Thank you everyone. Will spend the weekend tidying and sorting.

NameNotANumber Fri 28-Apr-17 18:41:49

There are a bigger pool of buyers at the cheaper end of the market, so if your house is an ideal FTB and realistically priced for condition and location it should sell within the month unless there is something really off-putting about it.

If it is an unusual higher priced property then it could take longer.

m0therofdragons Fri 28-Apr-17 20:48:45

It's so difficult as we've been here 10 years and love it. Hard to know what others will think of it. House I now want seems very over priced though. Very conflicted. I have a feeling when we take the plunge I'll be on here a lot!

Batteriesallgone Fri 28-Apr-17 21:00:17

Before you do too much thinking, tidying, or any other work get some estate agents round. It always amazes me how many people think they need to be ready to sell before they speak to one (or three). Nope. Estate agents are usually happy to talk to people thinking of selling, give their estimate and chat about selling times etc (although they always talk it up so take what they say with a pinch of salt) well in advance of being ready to take the plunge to put on the market. Its in their interest too to know if people are thinking of selling and get a look round houses in an area, particularly if it's a long time since the house has been on the market.

Cakecrumbsinmybra Fri 28-Apr-17 21:07:46

Also sold doesn't mean "accepting an offer" - it's still months before it's actually sold and can fall through several times before you finally get a sale.

m0therofdragons Fri 28-Apr-17 21:39:23

Oh god I think that's why I'm so reluctant. I want to move but our last move involved one fall through and it was so stressful, that was before children 😩

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: