Talk

Advanced search

How much are bespoke blinds?

(19 Posts)
halfbuffy Thu 27-Apr-17 15:49:57

Well aware this is a 'how long is a piece of string' type question, but we are in the process of buying a house and the sellers have asked if we would like to make an offer on the blinds they've got in there.

They are bespoke and are around 3 years old, but I have no idea how much we should be offering as they were apparently 'quite expensive at the time'.

I don't have exact dimensions, so a rough estimate is all I need, the blinds are on the following windows:

- Living room: Bay windows (3 fairly tall but narrow blinds, windows are around 4 foot high)
- 2 x bedroom windows (windows are a fairly standard size, probably 3 foot high by 2 foot wide)

The blinds seem to be good quality, white wood and as the house is on a main road I'd like to keep them, I don't want to replace them with curtains as I think that would probably be more expensive for us anyway, so I just want to know how much you would offer?

£200? £300? I'm plucking figures out of thin air!

sucue Thu 27-Apr-17 15:54:21

I'd try chat or property, might be more helpful OP.

GlitteralHood Thu 27-Apr-17 15:55:01

I've just had three PVC roller blinds fitted. Each one is about 170 tall. Two are about 40cm wide and the other is about 1m wide.

They were £85 each.

I think they're being cheeky and I'd be tempted not to make them an offer. Would they really take made to measure blinds with them? They might not fit in their new house.

Ilovewillow Thu 27-Apr-17 15:55:48

Not entirely a fair comparison but we at windows and have white wooden shutters in them - we paid £1,200 for each window. We also have some bespoke roman blinds (fabric) which were circa £300 each for similar size windows.

Ilovewillow Thu 27-Apr-17 15:56:15

That's should say bay windows!

CrunchySeaweed Thu 27-Apr-17 15:57:51

bespoke wooden blinds are quite expensive. However, they are likely to be zero use to the seller in the next house. I would probably offer £125 per bedroom and £200 for the bay

Ellisandra Thu 27-Apr-17 15:59:56

If they're 3 years old, ask the vendor exactly where they came from and the price. Take it from there.
Remember that they're worth a lot less now because they're second hand - and because being bespoke they might fit elsewhere.
I wouldn't offer more than 25-30% of the price - that's what I seem to pay as a rule of thumb for anything second hand on eBay.

halfbuffy Thu 27-Apr-17 16:01:50

@sucue I thought I had clicked on property....oh well...!

@Ilovewillow I think your white wooden ones sound the most similar to the ones at the house. Would you be offended if 3 years down the line a new buyer offered you only a couple of hundred for them?

I did say to the estate agent that it's strange that they have asked us to make an offer for something that is bespoke to their old house. She mentioned that if we didn't take them, they would try to sell them on eBay or something similar and then we could potentially have to find a solution that's going to work out more expensive - especially since we have to purchase white goods AND have a baby due at the end of May. Good timing to do everything at once!

Tootsiepops Thu 27-Apr-17 16:04:23

Tell them to stop fucking about and tell you how much they want for them. Then you can agree or decline to buy them.

LornaMumsnet (MNHQ) Thu 27-Apr-17 16:04:49

We're moving this over to property now.

flowers

TheGoodWife16 Thu 27-Apr-17 16:31:09

We've got 1-3 year old bespoke, made to measure rollers, Venetian, roman and vertical blinds throughout our house - 13 in total. They're all included in the sale price as they're absolutely no use to us in our new house. As previously mentioned, I'd be tempted to ask them to put a price on them, then you can decide whether or not you're interested!

Bearbehind Thu 27-Apr-17 16:37:16

I'd just tell them they need to tell you what they want for them and take it from there.

Bespoke blinds are of limited use to anyone else so hold your nerve and I'd bet they'll see that getting anything from you is better than trying to sell them elsewhere.

KatyBerry Thu 27-Apr-17 16:40:04

Tell them to name their price, and also remind them that if you elect not to purchase and they remove them, all holes left by the screw fittings will need to be made good..... I'd expect wooden blinds to be treated like fixtures and left as part of the property (assuming they're shutter type, rather than pull up / down ones on a string. In which case I'd tell them to take them)

RTKM007 Thu 27-Apr-17 16:54:31

Look on Hilary blinds version for fitting your own

Blinds and go or something like that

You can put in the style and rough size and it will tell you how much made to measure ones cost if you fit them

It is more if they fit them but anyway it will give you an idea how much it would cost to replace then agree on paying 1/3 of that price

Ilovewillow Thu 27-Apr-17 17:03:43

I wouldn't be offended at all, they won't another house they are very specifically measured for the windows. We sold blinds in our old house and sold them for £2,000 but this included 10 windows plus a dishwasher and a range cooker so £300 £400 would be a good deal imo!

halfbuffy Thu 27-Apr-17 17:35:30

Thanks for your help everyone!

I'll ask our estate agent to contact them and get a price from them and then go from there smile

Nospringflower Thu 27-Apr-17 21:47:07

I would give them a price rather than ask.

Ginnotgym Thu 27-Apr-17 21:55:10

Yes look on web-blinds.co.uk to get an idea of price.

Wooden shutters cost considerably (maybe 3x) more than wood Venetian blinds.

BornStroppy Thu 27-Apr-17 22:06:11

its ridiculous to ask you to pay for the blinds
i thought by default, fixture n fittings are included?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now