Talk

Advanced search

Can anyone recommend a good kitchen fitter in Essex please?

(5 Posts)
Booksmusicclothes Thu 27-Apr-17 14:24:11

Hello,
We're hoping to get a new kitchen this summer and have seen a couple of local independent companies who have come back with eye-watering quotes, and a local builder who put us in touch with a Howdens designer. The builder seems good from online recommendations, though he's been very slow to get back to us with a quote and clearly wants to use Howdens, who I feel a bit uncomfortable about using. I've read loads of great reviews for DIY kitchens and have sent for door samples and I'm pretty impressed. A pretty much like for like kitchen them would cost less than half the cost of units we've been quoted by the local company but we'd need our own fitter and preferably one who would be prepared to help check our design and what we're ordering and who would come and check all the cabinets when they arrive ahead of fitting. I find the idea of an entire, assembled kitchen turning up and having to check it all mind-boggling! Any help gratefully received! Thanks.

Ramona75 Fri 28-Apr-17 06:25:07

Buying online gets you a much cheaper price and sometimes better quality bizzarly enough as well. The best thing to do is nip down to Homebase or B&Q with your measurements and get a plan drawn up for your kitchen. Once you have that you will be able to adapt slightly Having your units then sent fully assembled is a god send, as you can tick them off based on your plan and when it comes to fitting, your kitchen fitter will love up and fitting will be cheaper too as he does not have to assemble the units. Go on, you can do it, have a go, put your stamp on it grin

Booksmusicclothes Fri 28-Apr-17 15:40:07

Thanks Ramona75, I think we'll do it! I agree, having the units fully assembled is better re quality and ease of fitting, it's just the logistics of how to store them and the idea of responsibility of making sure everything's ok that's making my head spin😱! We may have found a joiner who sounds great and is coming to have a look on Tuesday evening so fingers crossed!

OnePlanOnHouzz Fri 28-Apr-17 18:17:00

Some fitters can also swap hats and turn their hand to planning too ( but don't ask me to swap - I wouldn't want to fit kitchens, I know my limits!!)
Have you tried asking in the mumsnet local pages too ?! smile

Booksmusicclothes Sat 29-Apr-17 08:50:21

Thanks oneplan. Didn't know about mumsnet local (new here!) will investigate. The fitter I spoke to yesterday sounded really great and lots of reviews that say he has lots of creative design ideas so fingers crossed!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now