Talk

Advanced search

How to fill in holes in tiles

(7 Posts)
Cherryblossom200 Thu 27-Apr-17 12:22:24

Hi everyone,

I've just bought a new house for me and my daughter and doing lots of lovely things to update the place. I would love to put in a new bathroom, but that's going to have to wait for a couple of years. The previous owners were elderly and put in big stability type handles which I would like to remove. The only problem is it will leave big holes. I wondered if there was a good way to seal the holes which isn't too unsightly?

Thanks

Cherry x

nemno Thu 27-Apr-17 12:51:13

Can you think of what you might reuse the holes for and screw in hooks etc so it looks deliberate eg above the bath you could put simple hooks like these for a toy hammock or body scrubber, next to the loo something like a bag for spare loo roll or even use the holes for screwing in different roll holder (that might cover some more holes), in the shower it hangs a shower caddy etc. I have a few of the above hooks hiding old holes even where I don't use them, they look better than holes.

Heratnumber7 Thu 27-Apr-17 12:59:25

Grout?

KindDogsTail Thu 27-Apr-17 13:03:53

What colour are the tiles?

If they are white, or based on white you could use white silicone. I had to do this and it is not too noticeable.

If coloured, perhaps you could use grout first, and then when it is dry put a little matching paint on top (even water colour paint) covered by clear nail varnish.

Or what nemmoe said

EineKleine Thu 27-Apr-17 13:28:35

I'd fill them and grout. There is such a thing as grout paint which you could use to tone it in with the tile if the tiles are coloured, but I'm not sure how good it is or how wide the range of colours is.

If they have left any spare tiles it's not too difficult to extract the holed tile and replace with a fresh one.

Cherryblossom200 Thu 27-Apr-17 13:38:46

Thanks everyone. They are luckily white tiles. Nenmo I was thinking of hanging things on the holes but I think there needs to be something inside them a bit more substantial to protect about water.

pixelated Thu 27-Apr-17 22:45:48

Superfine Milliput. It's a two part epoxy putty and wonderful stuff. You take equal quantities of the putty and hardener and mix them together really thoroughly for about 5 minutes and then fill the hole. You only need a tiny bit. If the holes are deep, you might have to do two thinner layers, letting the first one dry.

www.milliput.com/white.html

www.amazon.co.uk/Milliput-Epoxy-Putty-Superfine-White/dp/B002CNEWAM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1493329114&sr=8-1&keywords=superfine+milliput&tag=mumsnetforum-21

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now