Talk

Advanced search

Underfloor heating tracks

(5 Posts)
Glitterspy Wed 26-Apr-17 20:22:46

We're having underfloor heating in two rooms in a new extension:
Large kitchen - wood floor
Small shower room/loo - porcelain tiled floor

Getting a second track and stat for the shower room is an extra £500 - worth it to stop the smallest room becoming an oven? Or waste of money?

phoolani Wed 26-Apr-17 20:31:02

If it was me, I'd pay it. We have underfloor heating in one room and it's so good at heating I think it would be overwhelming in a smaller room at the same temp and time as bigger rooms . Not explained that very well, but yes, I would get a separate one!

Blodplod Wed 26-Apr-17 20:38:08

Do you really need underfloor heating in the small loo though? I have underfloor heating in a large kitchen (stone floor). This is a water based system and worth every penny IMHO. I also had 2 new bathrooms done at the same time with tiled floors.. due to configuration of water pipes, age of property and about a million other factors we would have had to have electric underfloor heating in those rooms.. I opted not to bother due to constant higher annual electricity costs.. The house is old, very old (circa 1450's) but have been well insulated during renovations. The upstairs bathroom had a heated towel rail and a radiator fitted and I can honestly say it would never have benefitted from underfloor heating in the first place. Just a thought.. doesn't answer your question though sorry!

Nowwhatsthis Wed 26-Apr-17 20:47:56

What do you mean with a second track?

The bathroom would need to be on a separate circuit anyway. Still need a thermostat but that costs nowhere near £500.

You should definitely go for separate thermostats for the rooms.

jojosapphire Thu 27-Apr-17 08:18:57

We currently have the same dilemma with weather to sepperate the kitchen and utility/office. Don't think our current quote covers this and I'm sure one builder mentioned needing a sepperate manifold on the boiler and costing 400.... I'm guessing if we go for a smart thermostat then it will be more again... With the way the current extension budget is going I'm guessing it will not be sepperated...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now