Advanced search

Building regs

(5 Posts)
Stressedseller Wed 26-Apr-17 14:33:53

Am about to put my house on the market so am trying to get my ducks in order and have realised that I had a window replaced around 2010 by a non fensa registered tradesman so I have no certificate.

My understanding is I can take out indemnity insurance against their being any issues or I could apply for retrospective building approval? Any ideas which is best? My main concern with applying for regs is if the work is not approved? Presumably this could cost me a lot more? FWIW the window is a double glazed non opening window with wooden frames which replaced the previous upvc window.

wowfudge Wed 26-Apr-17 14:57:15

Just fill in the form your solicitor sends you truthfully once you have agreed a sale and let them deal with it then. You solicitor will advise you. If the buyer's solicitor picks up on it you will probably have to purchase an indemnity, but I don't​ think a replacement window is something it would be worth trying to obtain retrospective building control sign off.

Stressedseller Wed 26-Apr-17 18:57:01

Ok thanks for the info

FunnyBird Wed 26-Apr-17 19:09:54

As i understand it the indemnity insurance is to guard against enforcement action from the local authority.
I also think that no enforcement action will

FunnyBird Wed 26-Apr-17 19:10:58

Sorry posted too soon
No action will be taken after 24 months .
In summary don't worry about it.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: