Talk

Advanced search

How to stop chimney draught

(7 Posts)
Gingernut81 Wed 26-Apr-17 09:52:58

Has anyone any cheap solutions? I tried a chimney balloon yesterday but we can't get it up to the smallest part of the chimney. I wondered about an old cushion/pillow until we can have a proper think about it - need a quick fix solution as we have friends staying in that room at the weekend!

IAmAPaleontologist Wed 26-Apr-17 10:00:16

Chimney sheep? B&q sell them and they come in different sizes.

brassbrass Wed 26-Apr-17 10:19:08

or could you just board it? not the fireplace opening but the hole going up the chimney?

get something cut to size and screwed in place?

JT05 Wed 26-Apr-17 12:13:09

I stuff a garden bin bag with old newspaper. Does the job until the next fire, then I pull it down and throw it away.
Cheap solution.

specialsubject Wed 26-Apr-17 13:23:01

As above, or old pillow in a bin bag. No need to buy anything.

Just don't forget it is there!

P1nkP0ppy Wed 26-Apr-17 13:27:32

We couldn't get a chimney balloon to fit so I stuffed an old pillow up and DH boarded it over. We did remove the pillow before putting up the board but the chimney acted like a sounding board, amplifying the wind and transmitted sounds from the living room so pillow reinstalled!

PracticalTacticalBrilliance Wed 26-Apr-17 13:40:53

We have a chimney sheep and it's great. The fireplace is in the living room and it's really helped with how cold the room gets. Our fire place has a capped gas fire in it so no chance of anything being lit.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now