Talk

Advanced search

Where would you add a 2nd toilet in this layout?

(8 Posts)
dilapidated Tue 25-Apr-17 17:28:54

It's a typical layout in my area where people have moved the bathrooms from downstairs up into the 3rd bedroom at the back.

However this makes the bathroom an en suite rather than a stand alone bathroom.

This is fine for us for now but in future would like a 2nd toilet for guests or alternatively a small ensuit to the other bedroom

DumbledoresApprentice Tue 25-Apr-17 17:39:28

That's pretty much identical to the layout of my house but our stairs are super steep and there's a small toilet at the top of the stairs. There's also a shower room (with a sink but no toilet) off the second bedroom. It works really well as there's a toilet that you don't have to go through a bedroom to get to and if we have guests they can shower without going through our bedroom. Looks like it might not quite be possible to achieve the same there. We looked at lots of houses round here when we were buying and the layout in this one is a very good use of the space.

loveka Tue 25-Apr-17 17:46:38

You could have a side return extension and either have a small shower room there or remodel it so that the shower room is sort of under the stairs. As your kitchen would be bigger due to the extension you wouldnt be losing space- Ibhave a friend who just did this and it's lovely!

SwedishEdith Tue 25-Apr-17 20:25:16

I'd reconfigure the bathroom, move the door and create a landing by taking some off the bedroom.

ttcnovice Tue 25-Apr-17 20:36:28

Was going to say exactly what Swedish said

dilapidated Tue 25-Apr-17 21:39:23

I would reconfigure the bathroom and put a corridor in but that wall has a feature original fireplace and built in wardrobes.
The bathroom is also new.

I like the idea of a side return extension downstairs.
I was wondering if I could steal a bit of space from bed 2 for a small shower room.

Long term plan is to officially convert the loft to make a bathroom and dressing room for bed 2.

C0untDucku1a Tue 25-Apr-17 21:42:02

Do you need one? Why
Not just wait until you can afford the conversion you want?

dilapidated Tue 25-Apr-17 22:29:14

Don't need one yet (just the two of us plus newborn)

Thinking in 2-5 years having the conversion.

I agree that's probably our best bet but would be nice to have an alternative quick option in case we decide a second toilet is a benefit.

We have lived either in places with a main bathroom upstairs and a toilet off the utility or in flats where the one bathroom is on the same floor.

I think I'm just being lazy thinking I will get fed up going upstairs to the loo each time I need it during maternity leave grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now