Talk

Advanced search

bathroom works start a week from today and I haven't done anything...

(29 Posts)
badasscafe1 Tue 25-Apr-17 16:11:33

aside from building permission/building regs..... think I need some layout design ideas- any tips? no travertine or marble. Maybe grey slate looking tiles? anything to avoid or great sources of inspiration? thanks. Is an L shaped guest bathroom with door at narrow end. I want to put shower in the little enclosed bit if that makes sense. Would it be horrible having a toilet facing the shower?

fabulousathome Tue 25-Apr-17 17:03:06

Toilet facing a shower is fine. You are not likely to have two people in the bathroom at once, unless you are.... Plus, go for closed storage and tons of it, as opposed to open shelves which need dusting, and put up plenty of towel rails in handy places. Hooks for clothes taken off are also helpful and if you have room, space for a chair or a stool and a laundry basket. Good lighting is important. We have a small waterproof spotlight set into the floor illuminating just the toilet for night time trips to the loo. Putting on the main light wakes little ones up! It's good to leave on for guests too. On the floor go use tiles with surfaces that don't show every tiny droplet and texture on the floor to prevent accidents. Also use dark grout which stays looking clean for a long time. Hope that helps.

specialsubject Tue 25-Apr-17 17:12:19

Avoid the usual stupidities
- bowl sinks sitting on flat surfaces , muck traps
- shelf or cupboard over sink - stuff gets dropped, heads get hit
- ditto over toilet unless you are sure you can stand up without hitting head
- and no mirror facing the toilet!

DancingLedge Tue 25-Apr-17 17:13:52

Lighting?(correctly zoned). Extractor fan?(suitably quiet and powerful)

Possibly both in one ,over shower, and another light to illuminate mirror?

Have you chosen shower, enclosure, loo and basin? Some take a while to arrive. Have you asked the plumber if you can use his/her trade discount at wholesalers?

badasscafe1 Tue 25-Apr-17 17:19:51

these are all fantastic suggestions...love the floor light suggestion! I am very grateful. haven't chosen anything at all- have the guy who will eventually install the bathroom coming for a first look tomorrow (there will be a small extension done first by builder). Will ask about his discount. what are people's thoughts on basins aside from no bowl sink on flat service (we have this in our en suite- a glass one at that- is horrible)

specialsubject Tue 25-Apr-17 17:21:47

a sink needs enough flat space round it to place toothbrush, soap etc. But no silly twiddles that trap dirt.

that's it, really.

badasscafe1 Tue 25-Apr-17 17:25:15

fabulousathome can you please elaborate (or anyone else) on your tips for flooring? are we trying to hide texture or introduce it?
thanks

HalfCarrot Tue 25-Apr-17 17:27:12

Where do you put the toothbrushes if not on a shelf above the sink and not on a flat surface with a bowl sink resting on it? Sink is in an alcove. Sorry to hijack.

DancingLedge Tue 25-Apr-17 17:30:04

If bathroom's small, think about a small wall hung basin: neat, and makes room look bigger.Stainless trap, and pipes chased into walls.

If room's bigger, you've got more choices.

Grey tiles can look great, but you may then need more light to stop it looking gloomy. Illuminated mirror can help put more lighting in.

You need to make the lighting and pipework decision early on, can be tricky to change once work's started.

NotMeNoNo Tue 25-Apr-17 17:32:50

these sort of small vanity units are available at lots of showrooms and combine a little storage, flat shelf and easy to clean basin, ideal for a guest bathroom.

NotMeNoNo Tue 25-Apr-17 17:34:42

A light with a shaver socket works for rechargeable toothbrushes as well. They are not beautiful but they are useful! Or get a 2 pin socket installed near the sink/mirror.

badasscafe1 Tue 25-Apr-17 17:40:18

again thanks-- on a related note why on earth aren't shelves installed in tiled showers? instead of having a tonne of shampoo and shower gel bottles at your feet? I have yet to find a stick on shelf that works!

badasscafe1 Tue 25-Apr-17 17:40:58

Ah - never even thought of shaver socket!

badasscafe1 Tue 25-Apr-17 17:42:46

thanks for vanity link- width is not an issue as is a really long, narrow bathroom. Depth is my enemy.. so thinking a long, shallow vanity or counter.....

TheDogsMother Tue 25-Apr-17 17:50:05

We had an alcove designed into the shower cubicle for bottles. Grey grout not white. Closed in storage. We had an underhung sink with a marble (Quartz) top and the joiner built cupbards underneath and an Aqualisa Quartz Digital shower (no more cold wet arm). Good lighting, slimline illuminated mirror. Concealed cistern gives nice clean lines, shaver socket for toothbrush charging. Also Brabantia do a neat little plastic bin that can be fitted to the inside of a cupbard door so less clutter on the bathroom floor.

I am a one woman sourcebook having been through all this for three bathrooms last year. I can recommend Park St Bathrooms for a great selection at generally the best prices and they deliver everywhere. Message me if there is anything I can help with.

Also be prepared for your plumber to advise against digital showers, ceramic taps and concealed cisterns smile

badasscafe1 Tue 25-Apr-17 17:52:08

ah-maze-ing.... thank you all so much....

Pallisers Tue 25-Apr-17 17:58:02

We did our house recently including all bathrooms. So ...

I got toilets which are in one piece rather than with fiddley bits at the back so easier for cleaning. Mounting to the wall might even have been better.

Guest bathroom I did with a dark grey slate tile on the floor (large enough and set on the diagonal), white tile everywhere else except for one grey/black pattern running across the shower).

Put in a rainhead overhead shower and a handheld with doubles as a grasp bar for safety.

We have shelves built into all of our showers - the tiled should be able to do them for you. Not only are they great for shampoo etc but also you can prop your leg up on them when shaving!

We put in underfloor heating - it was my favourite thing in the house for a while.

Vanity with storage. Built in medicine cabinet.

Paid a bit extra for the lights over the vanity - they are very cool looking.

HalfCarrot Tue 25-Apr-17 17:59:02

Thank you notme

DancingLedge Tue 25-Apr-17 18:02:39

I had the impression digital showers, ceramic taps and concealed cisterns are not favourites with plumbers because possibly more likely to go wrong, and be more of a hassle if they do. But may be mistaken.Pigletjohn, I think you're needed here.

badasscafe1 Tue 25-Apr-17 18:04:37

can I now be so cheeky as to ask for any photos you might be willing to share? PM me maybe? how high up are your shower shelves Pallisers? and your alcove Dogs Mother? thanks

User2468 Tue 25-Apr-17 18:12:01

We have an extractor fan above our shower with a built in spot light.

Also, Lefroy Brooks rain head shower mixer, its actual heaven and like being in a fancy hotel!

Kennethwasmyfriend Tue 25-Apr-17 18:27:19

I am really paranoid about concealed cisterns etc. Especially the tiled-in ones and showers with only buttons visible.

Pallisers Tue 25-Apr-17 18:44:57

The shelves are recessed into the wall of the shower - like an alcove with three shelves on it - and start at about knee height. the ones in the bath are higher.

specialsubject Tue 25-Apr-17 19:26:28

I have a simple basin in a box sink which has flat surfaces. The toothbrushes sit in a holder which I can remove and clean.

Oh yes, no concealed cisterns. You need to be able to fix things.

Kennethwasmyfriend Tue 25-Apr-17 19:31:35

Pallisers, is it expensive to get recessed shelves, as opposed to just tiling the wall? Do they build a false wall?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now