Talk

Advanced search

Has anyone installed a RSJ

(17 Posts)
AliceFish16 Tue 25-Apr-17 13:32:03

We are viewing a house at the weekend which has a funny layout but it's in a great location and just in budget so will reconfigure it so it's exactly how we want. I've been advised by a friend who "knows their stuff" that in order to take out one of the main supporting walls we would need to install a RSJ which will have to be dug into the ground. Has anyone done this and could tell me how much it cost? I know it can depend on size, area etc. But I would love a rough idea before we go and view and get carried away! Plus would be need planning permission for this and any other internal changes?

Thanks

whatsthecomingoverthehill Tue 25-Apr-17 13:49:09

Why would it be dug into the ground??

And to be honest, there's nowhere near enough information to tell. It could be a couple of grand, it could be 10k. Even with proper details the costs from builders can vary significantly.

JT05 Tue 25-Apr-17 13:52:16

RSJs are usually supported by side pillars of the existing structural wall.
The builder will have to adhere to Building Regulations for supporting the upper floor. A structural engineer has calculated the load bearing for any RSJs that we have put in. They are very heavy and not usually a DIY option.

AliceFish16 Tue 25-Apr-17 13:56:29

I have no idea, they said "a metal RSJ with supports probably dug 3 metres into the ground". We have never done any type of building work so are totally clueless. I did anticipate this was a bit of a "how long is a piece of string" type question, but was interested to find out how much people had spend doing this to get an idea of the differences in costs

JT05 Tue 25-Apr-17 14:02:36

Our was included in the building works, but the structural engineer's costs were around £200.

JT05 Tue 25-Apr-17 14:04:47

Is it an internal load bearing wall? For example opening up a dining room/ sitting room?
If so how are they going to dig down 3m on each side? That's almost 9 feet in old money!

nauticant Tue 25-Apr-17 14:06:18

Are you sure he didn't mean "a metal RSJ with which rests on supports with the supports probably dug 3 metres into the ground" OP?

AliceFish16 Tue 25-Apr-17 14:17:29

Yes JT05 an internal load bearing wall, and yes nauticant that sounds like what he meant!

GraceGrape Tue 25-Apr-17 14:19:57

This is our RSJ. It was part of a bigger renovation but would probably have been around £2000 if we were just doing that wall.

wowfudge Tue 25-Apr-17 14:24:13

If you are digging into the ground, why would you use an RSJ? Surely the foundations would be strengthened by pouring concrete round them, which is a form of underpinning. RSJs take the load previously taken by a wall which has been removed.

We have had what was previously the external wall of part of our house removed. It was a typical cavity wall with two brick leaves. Two RSJs replaced those leaves and rest on brick pillars at either end. Depending on how big the opening is and the weight of what is above, it needn't be that expensive. We had an engineer do structural calcs for ours and the builder did the rest. Building control had to look at the steels once installed before they could be covered up.

You can have steels put in above the ceiling height, but it's much more invasive and a bigger job. It does mean that you have a flat ceiling rather than an overhang where the steels are though.

TheTabardOfDoom Tue 25-Apr-17 14:29:17

An RSJ in itself is surprisingly cheap. You won't need PP but you will need approval from the Building Regulation Dept. Building officer will need to see calculations from a structural engineer to be sure it's adequate for the load and also to know that it's on padstones (or other support) adequate to take the load. It's the of installation that puts the price up but it shouldn't be eyewatering. It might be helpful tohave the building control officer out for a look as if there's a major reason why not, he will spot it straight away and give you advice on who's good to use locally

GraceGrape Tue 25-Apr-17 14:30:49

Yes, the building control officer in our area was very helpful.

Grrrrlife Tue 25-Apr-17 14:33:03

We had an RSJ put in when we removed a wall between two rooms. Building control said our foundations were poor (70s house) so the builder had to dig around side walls about 1m deep and reinforce by pouring concrete. It wasnt a huge job as such. All in cost is from 1500-3000 but depends on size etc. And you will need building reg/control which has costs. We did ours as part of a bigger redevelopment so didnt pay that seperately so no idea on that bit. If its just a non-structural wall then you dont need an RSJ etc but you'll need someone to look at it to confirm. A builder can come before you buy to price up but you'll need a structural engineers to confirm.

AliceFish16 Tue 25-Apr-17 14:58:45

Thank you for your replies, and GraceGrape for your picture and cost. Sounds like it wouldn't cost the earth then which is promising. We are prepared to spend the money needed as long as it's doable and reasonable as it will likely be our "forever" home. Thanks everyone

TheTabardOfDoom Tue 25-Apr-17 15:35:52

I've got a quote for four steels that I am going to need on a project here in the Spring. Three are 5.2 m long and are going to support a full height wall and the third is a vertical one 2.3m that is gong to need a plate welded on the bottom and a smaller plate at the top.The cost for all four delivered is 980 blatts plus VAT so as I said the price isn't prohibitive.
It's Russian steel though sad

whatsthecomingoverthehill Tue 25-Apr-17 18:58:48

What currency is a blatt??

johnd2 Tue 25-Apr-17 23:23:16

Presumably the wall in question is providing "racking" stability to the house, and you plan to remove the whole lot. If you can leave a buttress at each side of around 400mm total then they can just drop a beam on top usually, but to remove the lot needs a "goal post" style beam firmly attached to something underneath.
3m sounds ridiculous though, you'd only need that if it's next to a Willow tree or something. Maybe the 3m includes something else, 1m would be plenty.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now