Talk

Advanced search

Kitchen floor that isn't tiled or lino/vinyl

(24 Posts)
SleepFreeZone Tue 25-Apr-17 12:53:12

We have a kitchen/diner that we want to renovate. At the moment it has some click together tiles which are pretty horrendous, so they'll be going. Underneath is a concrete floor with thin tiles adhered on top. It looks like it is an original feature to the house (built 1970s) as we have the same thing by the front door.

I have decided I don't want to be dealing with grouted tiles, my DP hates lino/vinyl. Ideally I want something that's smooth and flat. We like the look of Kardean/Amtico but I have a fear of them lifting and my friend say they also scratch really easily which isn't ideal with small preschoolers.

I would be happy with polished concrete but I think that might be a bit too Grand Designs 🙄 What other options are there?

sadie9 Tue 25-Apr-17 13:01:15

What about laminate 'wood'. We were initially moaning about how it would get all destroyed with water splashes etc, but it's been absolutely fine. Virtually impossible to scratch. And with underlay under it, if a toddler falls on it, it's not like falling on a concrete or tiled floor. Maybe that doesn't fall into the smooth and flat category.
Also if you drop a glass on it, there's much less fall out that if you dropped it on a concrete floor.

Monkeybunkey Tue 25-Apr-17 13:19:22

Another vote for laminate; I've got it in my kitchen and it's so easy to keep clean.

skippy67 Tue 25-Apr-17 13:21:30

We have bamboo throughout the downstairs of our house. Very hard wearing looks fab after 8 years.

EJC85 Tue 25-Apr-17 13:22:59

I vote for laminate or perhaps posh vinyl? I know you said your other half isn't keen on it but have you had a look at what's currently out there? Vinyl has come a long way. I used to be totally against it and have now changed my mind having seen some decent quality products.

Tanyaaah Wed 26-Apr-17 16:15:20

Can anyone recommend any "posh" vinyl companies?
I quite like the idea of commercial flooring as it looks like it would last forever.

Tanyaaah Wed 26-Apr-17 16:17:27

www.harveymaria.com/Floor-Range/Rubber
Like this

origamiwarrior Wed 26-Apr-17 17:44:16

More posh vinyl

www.atrafloor.com/

namechangedtoday15 Wed 26-Apr-17 21:28:31

But Karndean / Amtico is vinyl so if you DH doesn't like lino/vinyl, surely that's out too?

Another vote for bamboo or if your budget can stretch, engineered oak. Have / have had both in kitchen diners without issue. Very hard wearing, warm underfoot and look beautiful.

EJC85 Wed 26-Apr-17 23:42:00

Wow those websites with posh vinyls are incredible! also the price shock

PickAChew Wed 26-Apr-17 23:46:26

I think you've ruled out most of the affordable and waterproof options - kitchen flooring needs to stand up to splashes and spills as much as scratches.

caroldecker Thu 27-Apr-17 00:17:16

If you go for rubber, do not have the roundels - impossible to clean.

PhilODox Thu 27-Apr-17 00:20:48

Bamboo is lovely- my friend has it, and it's nice and warmish underfoot even though it's on concrete.
Just go for polished concrete... G'wan...

Tanyaaah Thu 27-Apr-17 07:12:16

Wow, I love that! Expensive though.

Tanyaaah Thu 27-Apr-17 07:12:53

Atrafloor, I mean.

Indaba Thu 27-Apr-17 07:27:29

Moved into house 2 years ago: Amtico kitchen floor down for 8 years with vendor and 2 with me and my kids, dogs, cats: still looks amazing. Indestructible. I clean it with all the wrong products, including bleach, still fine 😲

Thereshegoesagain Thu 27-Apr-17 07:30:50

Another vote for bamboo.
Watch the tiles underneath, they may contain asbestos-do a bit of googling/get them tested before removing.

AverysillyoldHector Thu 27-Apr-17 07:36:32

Engineered wood. Looks good, easy to care for and as it has a layer of wood, looks more natural than laminate.

CoxsOrangePippin Thu 27-Apr-17 07:49:25

We have engineered wood (the cheapest one from Natura), it's been down for 7 years. The varnish has yellowed slightly over that time but you can only see that by comparing to the room next door that we've had done more recently. A slow leak from the washing machine which we didn't notice for ages turned that bit black, but it was possible to take those boards out and replace them.

origamiwarrior Thu 27-Apr-17 08:28:10

You can also get polished concrete effect vinyl. I think the sheet would look better than the tiles.

e.g.

www.remlandcarpets.co.uk/vinyl-flooring/stone-vinyl/secura-stone-and-abstract?gclid=Cj0KEQjwrYbIBRCgnY-OluOk89EBEiQAZER58icp_P7-gDvr5F3JZRVzQ1Zza1Y2k7RHYzBSrNGS440aAicv8P8HAQ#polished-concrete

ladypie21 Thu 27-Apr-17 08:51:04

Another vote for Engineered wood. Ours are an oiled finish rather than varnished so it doesn't have that shiny look. It also hides any scratches or dents better and makes it look like natural wood ageing. Also we have concrete floors so the thickness of the wood with a very thick underlay keeps it feeling warmer than vinyl or tiles. We also had thin tiles stuck onto concrete and ended up putting a thin levelling screed down to fill in lumps and bumps after removing the tiles.

I would only go with polished concrete if you also had underfloor heating, but then I don't like cold feet much smile

SpringSpringSpring Thu 27-Apr-17 13:20:01

We have bamboo and it doesn't show any signs of wear

Felixtherobot Thu 27-Apr-17 20:47:57

Vinyl planks may be worth a look. Look like wood or laminate but with all the waterproof/clean easy of vinyl.
I didnt think id like it but 10 months on remain very impressed. We bought ours from B&Q.

bibbitybobbityyhat Thu 27-Apr-17 20:49:54

We have engineered wood. Couldn't be happier.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now