Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

How long after finishing a building job should builders be accountable for snagging?

(11 Posts)
Thisismynewname123 Tue 25-Apr-17 11:56:52

We finished a substantial building job (side and rear single storey extension and loft conversion - a 9 month job) over a year ago. The builders were out in March last year. They came back once at the end of the summer to patch up some cracks that had appeared. I know the cracking is normal. However, most of these cracks have now re-appeared and are bigger. The builder is saying that as it's over a year since they finished, he will now need to charge to fix them up again. How long after finishing a job is it reasonable for builders to come back for snagging at no additional charge? We're on good terms with him, and I don't want to be on bad terms because I'm sure we'll need to contact him in future. Thoughts appreciated. Thanks

jennymac31 Tue 25-Apr-17 12:02:37

When we had our rear extension completed it was agreed that the builders would come back 6 months after the completion date to go through snagging list and complete any remedial work as a result of the list (a 5% retainer was kept aside from the payments made to cover this work). I had assumed that it was common practice for snagging lists to be reviewed at least 6 months after a job had been completed.

Thisismynewname123 Tue 25-Apr-17 12:21:09

Thanks for the reply Jenny. He did come back about 6 months after finishing the job. There is new cracking since then. I understand this is normal, especially in an oldish house with a large extension & loft conversion. I just wondered if we should have to pay to fix it at this point, or if there should be some kind of goodwill from the builders to do it without charging.

jennymac31 Tue 25-Apr-17 12:39:23

Unless the new cracking is quite substantial I think you'll have to pay for any fixes from this point on.

Thisismynewname123 Tue 25-Apr-17 13:03:45

Ok. Thanks for your opinion. I guess we'll have to deal with it.

Rangirl Tue 25-Apr-17 13:06:17

Was this covered in the contract

Thisismynewname123 Tue 25-Apr-17 14:41:51

The contract just mentioned coming back once for snagging.

DancingLedge Tue 25-Apr-17 14:53:43

Where are the cracks?

trevortrevorslattery Tue 25-Apr-17 15:07:15

Yeah I'd say a year is ok. I work in commercial property construction and we'd only have a retention period (ie full monies not paid over) for a year.

PancakesAndMapleSyrup Tue 25-Apr-17 16:05:15

Cracks appeap due to the plaster drying and building settling in. This is perfectly normal. Now that they remedied it after 6 months dor snagging and its been a year, i would expect to have to pay unfortunatley.

Dizzybacon Tue 25-Apr-17 16:21:59

It is standard practice for a 12 month defect liability period. For commercial works usually a 5% retention is held. 2.5 % is released on practical completion and the final 2.5% 12 months later. During this time all defects are to be rectified. Sometimes difficulties may arise in when trying to determine whether its a defect or maintenance issue.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now