Talk

Advanced search

Is a storm porch important to you?

(70 Posts)
Babyiwantabump Mon 24-Apr-17 23:40:15

Am currently doing up my home (slowly) as looking to sell in the next couple of years . Front doors are currently wooden . Am looking at replacing the internal front door with a rock door and possibly just removing the outer porch doors.

Would this put you off? Do people prefer porches?

Do I need to just replace both doors with UPVC?

I personally like the look of some of the houses on the street with just a single door and small covered porch but wondering what others think.

Thanks

Babyiwantabump Mon 24-Apr-17 23:53:33

Not my house just random google image but this is what I mean by porch without external door will try and find one with

Babyiwantabump Tue 25-Apr-17 00:00:41

Kind of like this

BackforGood Tue 25-Apr-17 00:01:13

I prefer a porch.
I mean, first choice would be an actual porch, then 2nd would be a storm porch, then 3rd would be no porch.

Wouldn't necessarily be a deal breaker but I don't see the point in removing something that is useful.

Would also depend on what is behind the front door. If you open into a hallway, it is less of an issue than if you open into a front room directly.

Babyiwantabump Tue 25-Apr-17 00:03:11

Oh Opens onto hallway

PickAChew Tue 25-Apr-17 00:03:37

What the what, now?

Babyiwantabump Tue 25-Apr-17 00:18:37

Basically if two houses on the same street were up for sale one with a porch( two sets of front doors really - not really a porch if you kinda get what I mean from above pics) once without which would you choose.

I'm probably thinking too much into this but it's going to cost twice as much to replace both sets of doors obviously!

PigletJohn Tue 25-Apr-17 00:24:27

I like an open porch. Keeps the rain off, you can if necessary put your boots and brolly there, have deliveries left under cover.

Don't like the double doors. Unless they are both full sized you will squeeze through. And double doors are more effort to bolt and lock securely.

PolymathParadox Tue 25-Apr-17 00:24:54

Opens onto hallway I wouldn't be bothered about a porch. No hallway then yes a porch would be really important.

PickAChew Tue 25-Apr-17 00:31:47

No,but wouldn't be something I'd look at unless, a a pp mentioned, the front door led straight into the Livingroom.

PigletJohn Tue 25-Apr-17 00:43:58

House no. 98 would look better, and original, without those plastic doors.

plastic has no place on an older house.

RTKangaMummy Tue 25-Apr-17 01:52:25

In an old house we had your top one with black door and advantage was that when raining you could get keys out under cover but bad drafts into hall so cold

Our now house has a porch with 2 doors and is much better that no drafts, much warmer, coats, boots shoes umbrellas all stay out in porch then come in 2nd doors to indoors

RTKangaMummy Tue 25-Apr-17 01:54:00

Agree get full sized doors not 2 half ones like in photo

Kokusai Tue 25-Apr-17 01:54:47

I prefer the open storm porch then with only one door where the second door is.

The open poorch but provides enough cover to protect you whilst you're trying to get in in the rail and you can leave muddy shoes there or whatever.

Two doors make it really hard to squeeze through and it's ackward to lock/unlock.

RTKangaMummy Tue 25-Apr-17 02:14:58

Our now house has a porch with 2 doors and is much better that no drafts, much warmer, coats, boots shoes umbrellas all stay out in porch then come in 2nd doors to indoors

I meant 2 front doors (outside and inside) not 2 doors next to each other cos that is really bad idea IMHO

OlennasWimple Tue 25-Apr-17 02:24:14

I would choose the one without a horrid UPVC door, porch or no porch

notangelinajolie Tue 25-Apr-17 02:26:57

Plastic porches should be banned. I bloody hate them.

UsedToBeAPaxmanFan Tue 25-Apr-17 02:27:07

We moved from a house with a really large storm porch to one with no porchance. I didn't even think about it at the time but having no porch is a pain in the neck. As others have said, it's so useful for muddy boots etc.

Our current house has a layout where there's no possibility of building s porch, or we would. However, it's not a deal breaker. If I was looking at two houses and they were absolutely identical in terms of layout then the porch might be a factor but even then I doubt it. There are other things that would be much more important - for exanple, I'd buy a house with a south facing garden and no porch, I wouldn't buy a house with a North facing garden even if it had a porch.

If you've already got the porch though, I'd keep it. Possibly I'd remove the outer doors as the double door thing might be a pain depending on how big a porch it is.

ChishandFips33 Tue 25-Apr-17 02:30:23

I like the storm porch - it feels like it invites you in

If storage for coats/footwear is needed then replace the outer door too - it would be the additional storage (if it was needed) that would sway me rather than the look

housesellingrant Tue 25-Apr-17 06:56:28

It's not a consideration when I look at houses tbh

Millybingbong Tue 25-Apr-17 07:04:41

I asked this question last week and not a sod answered!

Ino our house I think we can go for a storm porch but I am worried about where Mr amazon will dump his stuff. Apparently that is my main concern!

Newtssuitcase Tue 25-Apr-17 07:04:51

I much prefer the look of a storm porch. An enclosed porch is generally small and therefore not that useful anyway.

user1491572121 Tue 25-Apr-17 07:08:27

I would choose the house with the porch. I like porches for the reasons others have given.

jobrum Tue 25-Apr-17 07:12:39

I considered this when moving house. Have a toddler and soon will have a newborn and a large-ish porch would be great, very practical but as I stepped through little diddy porches like those pictured (especially with any big steps) I wondered how I would logistically get children and prams though. If your hpuse would appeal to anyone, children or not, a porch would be lovely. And make hallway warmer and cosier.

yomellamoHelly Tue 25-Apr-17 07:18:30

I think a porch like the one you've got a picture of is too small to be of any use (apart from stashing parcels). Don't believe you'd enter the porch, close the door and then knock on the other door either. Think you'd often end up with both doors open, in which case what's the point in having it for insulation. So no - it would not be important to me.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now