Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Loft Conversion

(18 Posts)
shelleyhart Mon 24-Apr-17 14:58:00

Hello,
I’m planning on have a loft conversion done in the next few weeks. I have heard different things in regards to how disruptive it can be!

We will be living in the property while it is being done and I have a few questions!
Did you live in the property whilst it was being done? how disruptive was it to your life? How long did it take?

Thanks
Shelley

skippy67 Mon 24-Apr-17 15:37:42

Yes, we lived in during the work. It wasn't too disruptive until the stairs went in. Up til then, the builders came and went via the roof. Work took about 12 weeks, but we were having a side extension done at the same time.

Kokusai Tue 25-Apr-17 02:46:43

My sister lived in hers. All was fine until there was a big snowstorm and it basically snowed INSIDE and at that point they went to stay with my mum and dad for a weekend!

They didn't have the 'tin hat' thing. I would pay for that if you're going to be living in because work can continue in almost weathers so should be done quicker.

shelleyhart Fri 28-Apr-17 09:27:47

we will be doing ours in the May, so hoping for ok weather!
hopefully just a loft will be quicker than 12 weeks then? Anyone else had a loft conversion done??

suzyrut Fri 28-Apr-17 09:50:42

I have but we didn't live in, came to the house to find no roof and no ceilings upstairs one day, it was quite a shock.

Do you have the option to move out even if it's just for a small while or is your downstairs big enough that you could camp out there for a few days while they break through to the 1st floor?

I know quite a few people who have lived through this and an extension without moving out and they have all said the loft was much less disruptive.

Toomanycats99 Fri 28-Apr-17 09:55:52

We had ours done a year ago. As others said no impact at all until stairs go in and even then not bad - it was our bedroom the stairs came up from (wall knocked down) and we were still sleeping in it. We had the proper tin roof on ours which kept the weather out and I would recommend. (Rain sounds terrible hitting it though) builders put a portaloo on the driveway so they didn't come in for anything. Overall couple of days of big disruption when they were fitting banisters and second fix plumbing / electrics (all at the same time) but other than that really straightforward.

shelleyhart Fri 28-Apr-17 10:06:18

ah ok. we don't have to have any ceilings down or anything. literally just need to take abit of the ceiling down where the stairs will go. I'm hoping that will be the only disturbance. How long did all yours take from builders starting to finish?

Toomanycats99 Fri 28-Apr-17 10:26:09

Ours was about 12 weeks but we had a delay of week or so in the middle as the builder injured himself. Meant we missed our slot for second fix! Ours was mid terrace so a lot of internal bits as all plumbing etc had to come through the house.

Toomanycats99 Fri 28-Apr-17 10:30:49

They were also great at clearing up which helped. We had half a bedroom wall knocked down mid afternoon and it was cleaned up and dust free before they finished for the day!

LotisBlue Fri 28-Apr-17 10:33:45

About eight weeks, we were told six but inevitably there were delays. Only the first couple of weeks were disruptive though.

shelleyhart Fri 28-Apr-17 10:49:02

doesn't sound too bad! i think i can live with it for 6-8 weeks ( I hope LOL)

HotelEuphoria Fri 28-Apr-17 10:55:02

We had ours done one June. No disruption and ours was a Truss roof so needed steel beams to go in via a crane! The hall admittedly was in dire need or redecoration and had no carpets down which meant there was no stress of anything on the way through being damaged.

The only slight downside throughout it it all was the plastering, but I think that's because plasterers were lazy and messy and didn't put any sheets down. If they had done, then there would have been no mess left behind. I learnt by that mistake for any plastering I had done anywhere else later.

On the whole though, one of the easier and less stressful renovations....and we have had an extension, conservatory, 2 kitchens, 3 bathrooms, new doors, new windows, new floorboards, skirting boards, etc etc over about 14 years.

Gobbolinothewitchscat Fri 28-Apr-17 11:14:15

Are you having ceilings down?

We did and it was increadibly disruptive as that was in two becrooms that both needed to be fully cleared. Until then it was OK-ish but the builders necessary habit if leaving the front door open to lug in deliveries etc drove me nuts.

I was pregnant and had a 2 year old and a 1 year old.

We are in the process of buying a total do-er upper and we are renting for 6 months and that needs more ceilings down and a loft conversion again which I'm not living through again

SnowGlobes Fri 28-Apr-17 11:18:27

We lived in ours and not at all disruptive albeit before kids and through a glorious July. They did it in around 4-5 weeks but was very simple hip to gable, with several roof windows so no dormers & no bathroom. They came through the roof mostly and lined the stairway area until last minute. They didn't dusturb our bedrooms just the stairway area. Ask the builders what they think.

shelleyhart Fri 28-Apr-17 11:38:01

No we don't need our ceilings down. x

shelleyhart Fri 28-Apr-17 13:20:27

Gobbolinothewitchscat - why did your bedrooms need to be cleared??

Gobbolinothewitchscat Sat 29-Apr-17 12:18:11

Because they pulled the ceilings down and if we hadn't cheated thefurniture and carpets, they would have been ruined and got in the way of the workmen

GU24Mum Sat 29-Apr-17 12:21:48

We had ours done the summer before last and it really wasn't that disruptive at all. They used the loft hatch initially to sort out the beams/rafters (?) but then came through the hole in the roof. I guess it depends how much work is needed to put the stairs in? We took some space from one bedroom but they put up a stud wall then put the stairs in. The decorating of the halls, stairs and landing was quieter but more of a pain tbh.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now