Talk

Advanced search

Another what house would you choose!

(16 Posts)
perhapstomorrow Sun 23-Apr-17 23:46:16

Choice of two houses. House 1 on popular and desirable tree lined street but located on busy junction. Is currently a detached chalet bungalow so two bedrooms are downstairs. House needs loads of work doing to it but as it's at the top of our budget we would have top wait and save and then do work. House two is under budget so smaller mortgage. It is fab inside so we wouldn't need to do anything. It is also nearer DD's school. However, it is a semi, there is little we can do to add value (as it has a gorgeous extension already). The location also isn't as nice. What would you pick?

MrsSkeffington Mon 24-Apr-17 00:01:29

House 2 x

KickAssAngel Mon 24-Apr-17 00:03:01

Why is the location of house 2 not so good? Near DD's school (how long will she be there?) & not on a busy junction. Sounds like a reasonable location.

Do you need to add value? If it's going to be somewhere to live for a long time, that doesn't matter so much.

HeddaGarbled Mon 24-Apr-17 00:13:14

Not 1.

2 sounds good. All this adding value stuff is bollocks really. House prices will go up and down with the market largely regardless of cosmetic changes. What's the problem with the location though?

perhapstomorrow Mon 24-Apr-17 00:18:43

kickass Location of house 1 is in different town to house 2. House 1 is on a road full of large detached houses so think pretty road. House 2 is on a road full of standard 1930 houses. The area is slightly more built up. But house 2 is perfect on the inside even though garden is small. I am so bad at making decisions as I sorry about making the wrong decision.confused

perhapstomorrow Mon 24-Apr-17 00:19:34

Not sorry....worry!!smile

Qwebec Mon 24-Apr-17 01:19:47

From a financial perspective I sould be wary of house 1 top of the budget does not give you wiggle room and if you see that work needs doing, there probable is work that is needed that is invisible and perhaps are urgent. With a child it would be house 2 in a heart beat.

shellhider Mon 24-Apr-17 01:49:06

House 2

ftw Mon 24-Apr-17 02:03:42

I bought house 1. It's a lovely house but a few years into fixing it up whilst having children, I really wish we'd chosen 2.

(For me it's the difference between being SAHM and not being able to afford to be SAHM. I can't imagine how much I'd resent it if there were more immediate things we couldn't afford...)

KickAssAngel Mon 24-Apr-17 03:29:37

Do you want ten years of being broke, the house a mess with your kids not able to play safely and the seriously hard labour of manual work on top of a job and raising kids? Because that is what house 2 will be. Have you done work on a house before? I've done up a house and it is always more time, effort, worry, and money than you think it will be.
It could be better in the long run but getting there is like having another full time job on top of your existing commitments.

notborntothemanor Mon 24-Apr-17 03:41:22

House 2.
And houses on busy junctions may get harder to sell in future with all this emphasis on road fumes...
Smaller, quieter, more fresh-air garden and house without all the work to do? No brainer for me.

perhapstomorrow Mon 24-Apr-17 08:56:18

Thank you. I think you have all helped me come do a decision!! House 2 it is definitely the better option. smile

NicolaMarlowsMerlin Mon 24-Apr-17 09:34:15

House 2. Busy junction not good, waiting to do work not good, will drive you mad. 'Adding value' is a mirage. Walk to school great.

SnowGlobes Mon 24-Apr-17 09:36:29

Good decision perhaps tomorrow

Shortdarkandfeisty Mon 24-Apr-17 10:44:08

House 2

Hurraahhnaptime Mon 24-Apr-17 11:10:35

I would not buy a house on a busy junction because of road noise, pollution, and children walking out onto the street. No 2. Sounds much better with children unless the location is much worse.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now