Talk

Advanced search

Buyers remorse

(36 Posts)
a2992 Sun 23-Apr-17 21:40:29

So we moved into our new home and tonight feel like putting it back on the market - over parking. We were told we could park in the alley which was a 'dead end'. Except we now know it isn't, and there is nowhere else on the street to park our 2 cars. DP, who has just told me that he thinks we have made a stupid mistake, refuses to park on the main road away from our street, and I just feel sick.
This was supposed to be perfect and it isn't.

loveslipstick Sun 23-Apr-17 21:43:09

What was said about who owns the alley land during your purchase? If I were you I would discuss with your solicitors first.
It's an expensive mistake to have made, do you really think putting it back on the market is a good idea? The stamp duty and legal fees would lose you so much money. Your OH is fed up now and it's a bit of a downer but realistically he has two choices, park elsewhere or sell his car and travel by public transport.

Bluntness100 Sun 23-Apr-17 21:45:05

Contact your solicitor if you think you have been missold. See what she says, did the previous owners have cars? Maybe they parked in the alley and no one ever uses it?

a2992 Sun 23-Apr-17 21:51:24

The alley is council owned - the vendor told us that he parks there when needed because it's a dead end so access isn't needed. It is a dead end directly behind so we didn't check the rest of the alleys, but when you walk to the right and down another alley for another street it is open, meaning the alley could be entered there to exit on our street.
I'm just so upset that it isn't the dream moving in we wanted.

Bluntness100 Sun 23-Apr-17 21:53:32

Surely if you are parked there then folks will just have to go another way, doesn't sound like it's used much? And if the vender was parking there maybe it's fine?

a2992 Sun 23-Apr-17 21:56:14

I'm thinking more for emergency services to be honest - the street itself is quite narrow so I imagine they'd use the alley instead of the street. My DP is saying that we can't park outside other people's houses (when there is room) but my opinion is that people have parked outside ours, and it's a terraced street with no restrictions!

FlouncingInTheRain Sun 23-Apr-17 21:57:16

Does your garden/ yard side/ end onto the alley and how wide is the alley?

Just wondering if you could pinch a bit of width and create semi off road parking.

MaryPoppinsPenguins Sun 23-Apr-17 21:58:10

Did you not realise any of this when you viewed?

highinthesky Sun 23-Apr-17 21:58:26

The alley is council owned etc....didn't this show up in the land registry search? If not, I'd be looking in the conveyancer / solicitor that handled the house purchase.

SwedishEdith Sun 23-Apr-17 21:58:36

Of course you can park outside other people's houses.

a2992 Sun 23-Apr-17 22:00:41

When we viewed there was always somebody parked there! So we thought it was fine but it clearly isn't.

Semi off-road parking isn't possible either because the yard isn't big enough, even if we knocked it all down we couldn't fit a car there.

flapjackfairy Sun 23-Apr-17 22:00:50

The one thing i have learned is that nothing is perfect. There is always a compromise with anything and this is no different. Give it time it may not be as bad as you anticipate.

a2992 Sun 23-Apr-17 22:07:26

I'm trying to think of solutions and I can't - I really hope this feeling goes away!

HeddaGarbled Sun 23-Apr-17 22:10:17

Your partner is being a plonker.

Just observe for a few days. You'll soon work out who tends to park where and where the spaces are that you can use without upsetting your neighbours.

Also, if the neighbours have got used to your vendor parking in the alley, they'll have got used to parking outside your house. If you get in before them and start parking there, they'll learn.

buckeejit Sun 23-Apr-17 22:10:23

Of course you can park outside other people's houses. Nobody owns any part of the road. Maybe one of you getting a smaller car might help but there will be somewhere to park. Doesn't sound that there's much to be done atm but remember your defences will be down & you're likely to be tired & a bit anxious so try to forget about it for now & get some sleep. Things may look better in the morning

Babymamamama Sun 23-Apr-17 22:12:47

OP the whole idea of the public highway is that it's for everyone. So please do park as close to your house as you wish wherever there might be a space. Nobody can tell you you cannot park in front of their house. Hopefully your dh will calm down once you've settled in.

loveka Sun 23-Apr-17 22:13:59

Of course you can park outside other people's houses on a public road! Just find a space and park. Your husband is wrong.

FlouncingInTheRain Sun 23-Apr-17 22:14:42

I think a little bit of overemotion is quite common when you've just moved in. Many little things can trigger it i.e. a baby crying next door - is this what its going to be like all night every night. A neighbour practicing an instrument, neighbours rowing, a party, children kicking a ball or up late, no parking!

Over the next few weeks you'll get the meassure of the parking system. Don't take on your DH's worries. Its perfectly reasonable to park where there's a space on the street you live. He needs to park for himself and work out what works for him.

pictish Sun 23-Apr-17 22:16:17

You can absolutely park outside other people's houses. We live in an end terrace on unrestricted parking and it's a case of wherever there's a space...whether it's outside our own house or the neighbours.
Just park your car.

a2992 Sun 23-Apr-17 22:22:24

He's just worried that people will damage our cars I think, too many horror stories from other people.

FlouncingInTheRain Sun 23-Apr-17 22:26:57

But an alley would be safe?

Sounds like a bit of moving exhaustion. Hopefully some sleep and a bit of time will resolve this.

highinthesky Sun 23-Apr-17 22:28:31

Give it some time to get used to the situation. As long as you accept it, you'll fall in love with your new home again.

a2992 Sun 23-Apr-17 22:34:56

Thank you everyone - I think we're both very tired which isn't helping matters. We're leaving everything as is tonight, then tomorrow's a fresh start!

HeddaGarbled Sun 23-Apr-17 22:46:38

The night after we moved into this house, the house opposite had a teenage party. I completely understand how you are feeling right now. 5 years on, I love it here, love the neighbours and -mostly- tolerate the teenagers.

MyKingdomForBrie Sun 23-Apr-17 22:55:22

Does your husband have anxiety issues? I only ask because he's being irrational - of course you can park on the street, and if the vendor parked in the alley with no issues I would do the same, maybe after observing its use for a couple of weeks. Without really understanding the situation I can't comment on use by the emergency services but it sounds extremely unlikely that they would use an alleyway rather than the road.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now