Talk

Advanced search

How much would you scrub?

(13 Posts)
MrsWembley Sun 23-Apr-17 17:11:08

That is, if you knew that your buyer was planning to rip out the bathroom and kitchen before anyone was going to live here...

I mean, obviously I'll Hoover, wipe down the hob, you know, make sure that nothing looks too minging, but should I bleach the grouting and the bath sealant where it's gone a bit black? Should I clean the windows? Should I damp wipe the skirting boards? Wipe the cupboard doors?

MN jury, help!

Bearbehind Sun 23-Apr-17 17:16:46

Lol!

It's being binned after you leave- don't bother.

Save your efforts for wherever you move to.

littlemissneela Sun 23-Apr-17 17:19:49

I would clean it to a state I would be happy to move into it. Sadly, my seller didn't feel the same when they moved out so I spent nearly a week with my mum just cleaning. The buyers might want to do all that work, but not straight away.

justdontevenfuckingstart Sun 23-Apr-17 17:27:01

If they're ripping it out just clean surfaces and hoover the floor.

MrsWembley Sun 23-Apr-17 17:43:03

Thank-you! Y'see, that's what I was thinking but DP doesn't see it that way.

Not that it will be him doing the scrubbing hmm

MrsWembley Sun 23-Apr-17 19:21:22

And having taken shelves down, would you worry about filling in the holes?

MrsWembley Mon 24-Apr-17 08:25:42

Really worrying about the holes now...

specialsubject Mon 24-Apr-17 09:40:59

Leave it in a state that you would be happy to live in.

Check your fixtures and fittings doc to see if you should make good after removing agreed items.

sunnysouthend Mon 24-Apr-17 09:44:55

My fixtures and fittings form (the standard law society one) just says you should make sure to be careful not to cause damage when removing things. I think filling holes is not expected/required. Personally.

bilbodog Mon 24-Apr-17 11:13:49

I would ask the estate agent to ask the buyers how much you need to do. If they really are just going to gut the place straight away it would be a waste of your time. No harm in asking!

MrsWembley Tue 25-Apr-17 10:31:57

Hmm, I really don't want to get into another conversation with her through the estate agent. This sale has taken forever and we're moving Friday, so any extra questions now will be just worrying for all parties.

Is it the norm that people make good after removing stuff? We've got several more shelves to take down...

wowfudge Tue 25-Apr-17 10:53:49

Then just make good. If you don't ask and agree things you have to work on the basis you stick to what has been agreed in the forms you have filled in which form part of the contract. Don't leave yourselves open to the potential legal action your buyer could take for breach of contract.

MrsWembley Thu 27-Apr-17 14:32:33

Okay, he's now filling holes where he has taken shelves off and leaving picture hooks in...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now