Talk

Advanced search

Welwyn Garden City

(7 Posts)
user1483644229 Sun 23-Apr-17 14:19:12

I am coming to grips with different parts of Hertfordshire. Welwyn Garden City is very nice. Are there better parts of the city to live in or does anyone have any knowledge on good streets/areas to look at? For a typical family home that's walking distance to the city centre train station i.e no more than 0.8 miles. May have to walk distance in the dark in winter (or are there good bus routes along the residential streets to avoid this)? Are there betters parts of town and areas that are not quite so safe?

MotherFlap Sun 23-Apr-17 19:48:53

The West Side (postcode AL8) is generally regarded as the nicer part and is better for schooling and proximity to the station. Most of the housing in AL7 would be a bus or bike ride to the station. This is reflected in house prices and as a result your money would go further in AL7. It's generally a very safe town though so I wouldn't have too many concerns about that in any part of the town.

user1483644229 Sun 23-Apr-17 21:50:53

Thanks MotherFlap. I visited the AL7 side today not really knowing what was what and agree that it's a bit further from the station. I will take a look at the West side next time. Such a gorgeous place!

Nowthereistwo Mon 24-Apr-17 22:05:42

As with everything it all depends on budget and what you're looking for.

I would have a drive around and get a feel of areas. When we looked on rightmove we used the maps to set up search areas.

johnd2 Tue 25-Apr-17 12:38:30

There's another station in the north with some nice houses nearby, although it's a bit of a walk from most of that area it would be lovely in summer.
We looked in that area but eventually didn't buy due to train cost and frequency. And also it reminded me too much of the channel 4 series the inbetweeners. All the teenagers looked bored out of their minds.

user1483644229 Tue 25-Apr-17 19:27:06

Thanks both for your comments. We drove around on the weekend and I feel in love with the place. We will start visiting more often now and will start keeping an eye on houses.

BuzzKillington Tue 25-Apr-17 19:49:26

It's got a John Lewis - what's not to love!

Having said that, the area around the hospital is not so nice.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now