Talk

Advanced search

Twickenham vs East Molesey

(11 Posts)
user1490203991 Sun 23-Apr-17 06:34:37

HI,

My family and I (husband and 2 boys aged 6 & 4) are moving to London in a couple of months as my husband has a new job.

We've decided we want to live in South West London and are currently debating on either Twickenham or East Molesey.

Does anyone have any advice on what these area are like to live in? We're looking for family friendly areas with things to do for children and good schools. My husband and I are in our early 30s and dont know anyone in London so we would also like to be in an area with other young people who we may be able to befriend

any advice would be a great help

thanks

Dishwashersaurous Sun 23-Apr-17 07:01:22

Both are great family friendly areas but expensive.

Train from Twickenham is much faster and more frequent

Dishwashersaurous Sun 23-Apr-17 07:06:14

Also, lots of good oversubscribed schools so you might have to get your eldest into one school first and then change to preferred school further down the line.

Twickenham is generally busier and therefore easier not to use a car as much.
East molsley is more spread out.

Depends if you want to easily be able to drive out to countryside or are more likely to head up with the children into London on the train. Can do both from both locations but east molsley easier for first and Twickenham second.

There are dozens of playgrounds, soft play, swimming pool, bushy park etc in the area

NickMyLipple Sun 23-Apr-17 07:15:23

I grew up in East Molesey and can't particularly see the attraction but this was 30 years ago (sorry!) 🙊

My claim to fame is that I went to school with a convicted murderer!! (No idea what schools are like now)

There's virtually no transport links into London and what does exist is a pain - there is no train station so you'd need to get busses to the nearest station.

I didn't realise that East Molesey was SW London either - it's very much Surrey though I suppose it has got a 0208 dialing code.

Sorry, I realise my post is no help and is more wild musings for myself...

BowiesJumper Sun 23-Apr-17 07:23:01

Of the two I would pick twickenham. Much faster into London so if you're working in town it'll be a much better commute.
East Mosley is nice but feels much more removed from London as mentioned above.

mando12345 Sun 23-Apr-17 07:26:59

Just to throw something else into the mix have you looked at Teddington? I would prefer to Twickenham, smaller and more villagey.

Dishwashersaurous Sun 23-Apr-17 08:42:57

And assuming you've checked but will need very healthy budget for family home in Twickenham

specialsubject Sun 23-Apr-17 09:53:33

East molesey does have a train station, it is called hampton court. Nowhere in east molesey is more than twenty mins walk from it, you won't be driving due to terrible traffic and parking shortage. 40 mins to waterloo.

Lovely area , used to be in the less fashionable west bit. Palace, river, buses to Kingston for clothes shopping, local shops on high street.

notthe1Parrot Sun 23-Apr-17 21:16:08

Children travel free on London Transport (Twickenham). Might be quite a consideration if you don't want to use the car.
I would much prefer Twickenham to East Molesey - half the time on the train to London, lovely parks near transport, great schools.

Thepassionfruit Mon 24-Apr-17 00:37:50

We have friends with v young children in E Molesey and they love it. Near river and playing fields, lots of local activities etc. We live near Twickenham - more vibrant I'd say - but I don't know if that is particularly what you need with young children.

user1490203991 Mon 24-Apr-17 04:12:17

Hi,

thanks for all the advice, really appreciate it. I think we would prefer a more vibrant place and if Twickenham has better transport links then this may suit us more as well.

thanks for your help

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now