Talk

Advanced search

Patio / bifold / partially open door dilemma

(10 Posts)
claptomania Sat 22-Apr-17 14:18:51

We're renovating our kitchen, in a single storey rear extension, and I realise I have no clue about one particular element (even what to google).

Currently we have really quite fugly white French UPVC patio doors. I'd dearly like to replace them with something in dark aluminium, like bifold or sliding. However - one big positive about the French doors is that one top pane opens outwards, which means I can cook with a window open, without toddler and/or dog escaping into the garden.

What do I need that meets all these needs?
- fully folds or opens back
- can be partially opened at the top (important as if there's an opening at the bottom - the dog will push it open!)
- is available in grey or black

Believeitornot Sat 22-Apr-17 17:32:38

Can you have a fixed pane with a top that opening and the rest sliding doors? Although it might look odd to have a run of glass and one bit which is different.
But I would suggest two different windows (which is what you're really after) and a break in between.

Or a decent extractor fan so you don't need to open the window.

minipie Sat 22-Apr-17 17:44:13

You want the extension to have enough height so you can have a separate opening transom window above the bifolds/sliders/etc.

Like this:

claptomania Sat 22-Apr-17 18:43:18

Thanks! Will look into transom windows. Unfortunately it's only the kitchen we're renovating - the extension itself is built, and the space for doors is only... door height

minipie Sun 23-Apr-17 00:03:44

Ohhh tricky. TBH I have never seen bifolds or sliding doors which have a separate top section that opens. Could you put a skylight in the roof of the extension - that's what we do for ventilation? (ours has a motor so very easy to open and close, just press a button)

BackforGood Sun 23-Apr-17 00:14:36

I'm already fretting about trying to keep all the glass in bi-folds even relatively clean with a dog and a toddler. I think I'd have to go with windows and a French door.

9GreenBottles Sun 23-Apr-17 00:31:38

We saw a bifold door by IDSystems iirc which released but didn't slide open and it let you have some fresh air into the room with no risk of escapees

claptomania Sun 23-Apr-17 00:37:33

mini THANK YOU for the motorised skylight suggestion. There IS a skylight already. We have my husband's improvised skylight stick to open it. But as I am not 6 4'' like my husband, has discouted it as a viable regular option.

I would never have thought of putting a motor in the skylight, but that's a brilliant solution. Thank you x700

minipie Sun 23-Apr-17 16:03:54

Glad to be of help! Just to warn you might need a new skylight as retrofitting a motor is difficult (and may be impossible if the existing one is too old)

Blankscreen Sun 23-Apr-17 19:38:42

We have got lift and slide aluminium skiing doors which lock into position.

You can open them just a but if you want to.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now