Talk

Advanced search

Gap in our new house's kitchen - how to fill

(27 Posts)
drspouse Fri 21-Apr-17 22:05:22

Our new house had a 70cm range cooker which we didn't want so declined to buy. It's in the middle of a set of units.

We will probably replace the whole kitchen in about 2-5 years (it's not our dream kitchen!) so we need a mid-term solution.

We doubt we can match the existing unit fronts, they are a fairly neutral light wood.
We are putting in an induction hob with plain wood surround into the gap (well, a joiner is doing it). The work tops are a dark laminate.
I'm just struggling to work out what to do with the gap. It's going to look weird with a different front!

Also there is ONE drawer in the whole kitchen. One? Did they hate drawers??

whojamaflip Fri 21-Apr-17 22:11:08

Could you get the joiner to shelve it out and put storage baskets on them? Might help with the lack of drawer space.....

drspouse Fri 21-Apr-17 22:13:12

Oooh I like your thinking!
Hmm now I need some non-basket baskets as DH probably won't go for the woven look.

BreakfastAtSquiffanys Fri 21-Apr-17 22:16:51

We took out an integrated washer dryer which had a matching door with some deep drawers. We couldn't match drawer fronts with existing cupboards so we went for stainless steel effect which looked nice as they coordinated with the oven and fridge.
A contrast is better than a poor match.

drspouse Fri 21-Apr-17 22:20:16

Where did you get the stainless steel effect? I quite like those but DH looked into them locally (B&Q etc) and we can't find them. I have seen them on the Ikea website but not in the right size/s.

MackerelOfFact Fri 21-Apr-17 22:21:44

Could you build a new cupboard base in the gap, nicking the door from another cupboard?

You could then either a) get some stools and make a little breakfast bar thing in the new gap if it's at the bottom (or you could just do that in the existing gap but next to the hob probably isn't the best place for a breakfast bar!) or b) get a glass/display door (or two if that looks less weird) if it's at the top?

drspouse Fri 21-Apr-17 22:24:55

The gap has about 15cm space after fitting the hob. The next cupboard is next to the door so no good for a breakfast bar. Also we have a dining room next door so little point really.
Or am I misunderstanding?
But there's nowhere else to move a cupboard from really plus the others are all standard sizes (not 70cm)

MackerelOfFact Fri 21-Apr-17 22:42:24

Ah sorry. I misunderstood. I assumed you were swapping a double sized oven/hob for a single one and therefore had a cupboard-sized hole with no door! Didn't really register the measuremens. Ignore me!

Only one thing to do with a 15cm gap though IMO. Starts with wine and ends in rack. wink

CointreauVersial Fri 21-Apr-17 22:46:54

I have two "gaps" in my kitchen - one is for trays and chopping boards on their sides, and one has towel hooks in it (stuck to the cupboard on the one side). Pics attached. Would either of these work?

CointreauVersial Fri 21-Apr-17 22:50:14

Oh, hang on, I thought you were putting a narrower cooker in, and just had a small gap.

If you have a 70cm gap, I definitely think shelves and pull out baskets would be best. Can be wire baskets, not wicker.

dynevoran Fri 21-Apr-17 23:07:37

I think we need a diagram / picture!

dynevoran Fri 21-Apr-17 23:08:36

If it's a 70cm gap then I think the shelves with some kind of pull outs is a great idea.

Qwebec Sat 22-Apr-17 01:23:50

or it would plastic boxes. some of them can look quite nice

housesellingrant Sat 22-Apr-17 06:41:43

Wine rack smile

Bluntness100 Sat 22-Apr-17 06:56:12

I'd also agree wine rack,,,

PosiePootlePerkins Sat 22-Apr-17 07:43:00

The Curver my style storage baskets are nice, they're plastic but have a woven effect, but don't look too woven if that makes sense! Like this.

LightastheBreeze Sat 22-Apr-17 08:11:02

We have a gap that size and have put a tall thin wine rack in it which takes 6 bottles, fills the gap nicely.

OnePlanOnHouzz Sat 22-Apr-17 10:30:08

So where's the oven going ?!?

averythinline Sat 22-Apr-17 11:20:02

Think i would get something made ...The joiner could probably make a cupboard and you can get doors on their own from lots places...Heavy a look on eBay or try a 60cm cupboard and just have a 10cm gap for trays etc...If I've read that right!

drspouse Sat 22-Apr-17 11:39:01

The oven is going in the gap remaining when the broken built in microwave and the built in coffee maker are taken out.
I forgot the full story in my OP. Sorry! There is a wine rack next to the range space. We have another more useful wine rack, so that's now coming out too, leaving a more useful space (but still needing to make it look less odd)

So the total gap is 70cm plus wine rack.
I'm now leaning towards new cupboard with door plus shelves with baskets.
DH is now having said no custom cabinets, talking about custom drawers with cutouts rather than handles (as even if the fronts don't look odd the handles will). Fickle man.

I'm trying to talk him down from taking out another bottom and top cabinet to put in our fridge freezer (which will be fine in the dining room). This is more of a martial issue isn't it?

OldLagNewName Sat 22-Apr-17 12:18:14

Martial?! That sounds bad but you know your relationship best grin

drspouse Sat 22-Apr-17 12:19:49

Oops wink

drspouse Sat 22-Apr-17 16:05:53

Ok he's started ripping bits out!
I've decided he's right about the completely non matching fronts. But now we'll have a gap of about 5-10mm but it will have to stay.
I'm petitioning for the lighted display cabinet to be replaced with another non-matching front. Just to look maximally random.

bouncydog Sat 22-Apr-17 20:21:55

If you have a joiner he should be easily able to make a set of pan drawers to match the existing doors. We had a cheap wood kitchen from mfi many years ago and got a joiner to make infills for various places rather than using the mdf fillers. Made a huge difference and a lot of people thought it was a very expensive kitchen.

PigletJohn Sat 22-Apr-17 20:41:19

towel rail

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now