Talk

Advanced search

Why might I want a flex zone on an induction hob?

(10 Posts)
AalyaSecura Fri 21-Apr-17 11:55:52

It's looking like it would cost me a couple of hundred pounds more to get a flex zone on one side of a wide induction hob versus just having 5 defined zones - and I'm not sure what the benefit is meant to be? But then I have a rubbish electric hob currently, so not very familiar with any of this. Can I happily save myself some money, or will I be annoyed down the line at what the hob can't do?

MiaowTheCat Fri 21-Apr-17 12:05:36

Think it's so you can run two of the hob "bits" as one if you've got a whacking huge pan you want to use.

I've not got one - never missed not having one.

AalyaSecura Fri 21-Apr-17 13:48:25

Thanks Miaow - can't imagine having a pan that big!

creampie Fri 21-Apr-17 13:52:35

I think it's useful if you use one of those massive griddle things that are the size of a baking tray. Also mildly useful if you make gravy in the bottom of the roasting pan so the heat covers the whole thing.

Probably not worth an extra £200 though!

scaryteacher Fri 21-Apr-17 19:51:31

We rent a house with an induction hob that doesn't have a flex zone. I would give my eye teeth for one, as it would be very useful. Even a slightly bigger than normal pan (I have Le Creuset pots) are too big for the largest 'ring'.

MiaowTheCat Fri 21-Apr-17 19:52:23

I guess it depends if you've got big posh pans or if you're rocking a set of basic induction suitable ones like we are!

ChunkyHare Fri 21-Apr-17 20:44:05

I have one, it allows me to use a Circulon saute pan that is ever so slightly bigger than the cooking zone allocated to one "ring."

The issue with induction is if the pan is bigger than the zone then the edges of the pan don't heat up so you have your dinner bubbling away in the middle and the outside ring of it is much cooler.

If you are thinking of getting an induction hob take a paper template of the biggest pan you will use with you to check the size. Mine is a DeDietrich one and cost £850 four years ago. I love it.

Wiifitmama Fri 21-Apr-17 20:46:46

I am in the middle of having a new kitchen put it and we are having an induction hob for the first time. We chose a Miele one that ONLY has flex zones! Three of them. So either I can have 6 smaller pans on there or three massive ones or a combination. We are a family of 5 and all my kids are boys (two teens) so I cook in big pans all of the time. For me, this seemed like the perfect solution. If course, I haven't actually cooked on it yet!

AalyaSecura Fri 21-Apr-17 21:49:38

Thanks all - actually ChunkyHare, what you've said about where the heat is makes perfect sense, I guess I'm used to electric or gas where the heat spreads outside its circle. Will check on pan size - we do use a saute pan a lot.

I saw a YouTube demo today with a cutaway pan where the chef cracked an egg half in half out, and the egg outside didn't cook in the slightest. It's gong to take a little getting used to.

scaryteacher Sat 22-Apr-17 15:02:23

Miaow We are renting abroad. My pans were bought years ago in the UK. I am used to cooking on a slab of cast iron on a range, and loathe induction with a passion. FYI Le Creuset is suitable for induction.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now