Talk

Advanced search

Would converting part of our garage affect the value (positively or negatively)?

(25 Posts)
closephine85 Fri 21-Apr-17 05:49:53

We are currently thinking of knocking through from our lounge into approx 2/3s of our garage. So we would retain the front area where the garage door is, as storage, then turn the back part into a dining area attached to our lounge.

It is a 4 bed house, has parking on the drive for 2 cars (with potential for future buyers to turn this into 3 by paving the front garden) and there is room for a shed in the back garden.

Inside the house, there is currently no separate dining area outside of the kitchen which I feel is it's only fault and is affecting how long we would live in this house for. I couldn't host a large family gathering like Christmas lunch for example.

Basically I'm wondering how this conversion might affect the value when we come to sell. Do people value a dining space over more storage/the ability to park a car in a garage? As it is, I feel like we would outgrow the house in 5 years. If we did the conversion I could imagine us staying here for more like 10...

I think the cost of the conversion would be around £10,000.

Any thoughts or advice appreciated!

OhTheRoses Fri 21-Apr-17 05:56:20

I'd do it. Cheaper than moving. What do local agents say?

ScarlettInSpace Fri 21-Apr-17 05:58:16

We are looking at the moment for a similar sized house to yours, and won't be considering any property without a garage.

However, I don't know if that's the norm! We are one of those weird families that actually keep a car in our garage grin

ScarlettInSpace Fri 21-Apr-17 06:01:23

I guess it comes down to if you want to stay or sell really - if you want to stay then do what you want to make it the best home for you.

But if you are planning to sell anyway then why spend ten grand on a conversion that might put someone else off?

G1ggleloop Fri 21-Apr-17 06:02:02

I'd do it. Where we live the houses which have garages were all built in the 30s and so you can't fit a car in there anyway. Seeing as you have plenty of off street parking I would rather extra living space than a garage

closephine85 Fri 21-Apr-17 06:06:03

Scarlett - it would probably make the difference between staying or selling (which we can't do for at least 5 years due to fixed mortgage).

Giggle - thanks, you can fit a car in ours, but out of the 30 houses on our Clos, I know of only 1 neighbour who actually uses it to park a car in!

closephine85 Fri 21-Apr-17 06:07:28

Roses - I've not got that far! Would an agent be able to tell you that without charging for advice?

tralaaa Fri 21-Apr-17 06:07:54

We have converted our garage. I don't think that you lose money but I don't think you gain either. Still keeping the Front as storage is a very good idea. Is the budget for everything including decorating if so good value - we made ours into a bedroom

FrancisCrawford Fri 21-Apr-17 06:09:24

I'd definitely do it.

But then I hate the thought of integrated garages and would never use it for a car.

Around here nobody uses their garages anyway.

MovingtoParadise Fri 21-Apr-17 06:10:51

Every one did it in our last street. It cost me £9,600 to do it.

picklemepopcorn Fri 21-Apr-17 06:11:34

An experienced agent will value your house and give an opinion on how the value would change if you altered it.

PossumInAPearTree Fri 21-Apr-17 06:12:16

Do it, for me it would be a selling point when looking at houses. Like you say most people don't actually use their garages anyway apart from for storage.

yomellamoHelly Fri 21-Apr-17 06:15:25

We converted ours. Was a no-brainer in terms of the space it's given us. Makes the downstairs seem much larger.

closephine85 Fri 21-Apr-17 06:16:19

Ooh looks like the general consensus so far is do it smile I am really keen so this is good! Might do as tralaa says and get a valuation to get a better idea.

ChunkyHare Fri 21-Apr-17 07:19:10

We converted a double garage into a playroom/storage area for the children. We also kept a 6ft deep storage area across the back of both garages to be able to store tools.

Planning consider the parking issue but as you have a drive for 2 cars with a potential for 3 then planning should be granted.

The building regs chap who came to see mine said lots of people convert the entire garage and forget about where they will now store their lawn mower/cans of paint etc.

We also have a shed and this was taken into consideration when planning was granted.

Very few people use a garage to store a car.

yikesanotherbooboo Fri 21-Apr-17 09:58:46

My parents did this ... whole garage now dining room with window to front... house much improved inside and out... they have 3 sheds now though! New houses in their road ( v quiet naice area ) are being built without garages but large enough drives to park at least 2 cars and no one parks in the road

DancingLedge Fri 21-Apr-17 11:03:44

You could ask a local EA what they think you would be doing to the future value and resaleability of your house. The good thing about that is their ability to see it from the viewpoint of the buyers in your area and price range.

For me, it sounds like a no-brainer. I've never kept a car in a garage, and attached garages always seem like so much wasted house.

witwootoodleoo Fri 21-Apr-17 11:06:40

We converted 2/3rds of a garage in a previous house to a big spacious utility room and it was a big selling point according to the agent. We sold within a week above asking.

SuperBeagle Fri 21-Apr-17 11:06:54

I wouldn't buy a place without a double garage, so for me it'd be the dealbreaker.

I disagree with the "very few people use a garage to store a car" thing, but maybe being from Australia we do things differently here.

PickAChew Fri 21-Apr-17 11:07:36

The only house I've seen where it has put me off has a really short drive and the new room isn't in the right place to be used as a dining room. It's telling that that house has been on the market with one agent or another for a couple of years.

exLtEveDallas Fri 21-Apr-17 11:07:38

The previous owners of our house did this, and it worked really well. They also put in a downstairs shower room and loo and a utility room. It will become our bedroom when we are too old and cronky to climb the stairs! We've got parking for 3 cars and again I don't think I know anyone on our street who actually uses their garage for a car!

DropZoneOne Fri 21-Apr-17 11:12:50

Neighbours did exactly this. Didn't increase value but didn't detract either - house went for similar to the non converted sold within months. That could be though because it was a poorly done conversion and needed remedial work!

FormerlyFrikadela01 Fri 21-Apr-17 11:17:05

Do it. I can't think of a single person who actually uses the garage for a car. Considering how small some new builds are these days I'm surprised they waste so much space putting in a garage.

irregularegular Fri 21-Apr-17 11:43:08

I'd do it, definitely. If the extra downstairs space would be worth a lot to you and make the house usable long term then it would probably be worth a lot to other people too. From what you say I would certainly value the extra space over the garage, provided there is still a decent amount of storage for bikes, lawnmower etc and there is parking. Almost nobody puts the car in the garage these days and I know many people who have converted garages into living space.

plasticcheese Fri 21-Apr-17 12:03:22

I would do it. A 4 bed house needs a dining room imo.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now