Talk

Advanced search

Please show me your Karndean flooring!

(16 Posts)
SleepBecomesHim321 Thu 20-Apr-17 18:03:11

I'd never heard of Karndean until browsing the mumsnet property forum but am now interested in it as a possible alternative to new wooden flooring.

It's really hard to tell how it would look, en masse, in a real setting. We're considering it for our hallway and utility room (all ground floor and visible as soon as you come in front door).

Do you have Karndean? If so, any chance you could show a real life pic? Thanks in advance!

emsyj37 Thu 20-Apr-17 19:10:01

Kitchen and diner in 2 different styles. We chose the wood effect for the dining room as it was a good colour match for the parquet in the adjoining living room (dining room is an extension). You can have it laid in a herringbone pattern which looks nice, altho we decided not to as it looked a bit too much like we were trying to get an exact match IYSWIM.

emsyj37 Thu 20-Apr-17 19:12:32

Sorry they are rubbish pics blush
It is a really practical floor covering tho. But slippy if wet...

wizzywig Thu 20-Apr-17 19:14:36

Is it tough against scratches?

TiddlesUpATree Thu 20-Apr-17 19:21:40

This is ours. Excuse small boy with new bike. It's pretty hardwaring though managed to pierce it when I dropped a knife on it. Will be easy enough to replace 1 tile though.

Topnotes Thu 20-Apr-17 19:23:24

I had Karndean installed 10 years ago. Would not really recommend it now. We have it in kitchen through to conservatory. It's now faded colour in conservatory due to sunlight. The tiles have slight grooves in them, that then get dirt in them which can be difficult to shift. I steam cleaned it at weekend but still there. And it has visible scratches on it now. I won't be buying it again. Will try and post pics

SussexBonfireViking Thu 20-Apr-17 19:23:41

Heres my lovely new floor

We had it done this week

We have the Van gogh in classic oak, 11meters by 5 meters

To have the old carpet taken away, re screeding and supply and fit was about £4k
Happy to share the company we used if anyone wants to know

They said 2 days, and they did it in 2 and we are really happy with it

Topnotes Thu 20-Apr-17 19:27:59

Not sure if this shows the scratches, grooves and colour fading.

Swatsup Thu 20-Apr-17 19:29:53

I love it. Much nicer than wood to walk round on. Very tough, we haven't had any obvious marks and have kids and dogs trying their hardest :-).

PollyPerky Thu 20-Apr-17 19:57:25

Given the choice I'd go for Amtico. We have it in the bathroom and it's not budged in over 15 years. (It's not a wood finish, it's a stone type.)

wowfudge Thu 20-Apr-17 19:59:08

Pretty much all LVT can be given a polish layer which both helps protect it and covers scratches though. Worth looking into.

Vroomster Thu 20-Apr-17 20:19:53

I love ours. I need to take a picture in daylight though.

SleepBecomesHim321 Thu 20-Apr-17 20:20:18

Thank you! We're thinking of wood, parquet-style. There's carpet at the mo (hideous) so perhaps laying costs will be less as no levelling required (wishful thinking). If it marks/scuffs easily, would you advise against it for a high traffic hallway? And how did you go about getting best product and fitter? Thanks.

llhj Thu 20-Apr-17 20:24:03

What about Kahrs? I have this downstairs and think it's very good quality and looks the closest to real wood.

MadisonAvenue Thu 20-Apr-17 20:24:17

My parents have it in their bathroom, they have the stone effect, and it feels so cold underfoot. I only said to my husband at the weekend that it's cold even when wearing socks yet the cheapo vinyl we put in our son's bathroom feels warm even with bare feet.

breakfastnotattiffanys Thu 20-Apr-17 20:34:12

Ours has been in hall 7 years now with a lot of traffic through it including The usual buggies, kids and dogs and occasionally the garden wheelie bin! Has worn well and easily kept clean.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now