Talk

Advanced search

Which way would you run the flooring?

(7 Posts)
dilapidated Thu 20-Apr-17 12:11:27

About to lay flooring in new kitchen.

(Badly drawn sketch attached)

It's engineered oak flooring.

Would you have it going in the direction along the main kitchen cabinet run towards the sink, or across?

wowfudge Thu 20-Apr-17 12:15:11

If you put it across it can visually make the room seem shorter. You could have it laid at an angle, have you thought of that? Might work quite well with the L shape of the room.

dilapidated Thu 20-Apr-17 12:25:25

We will be laying is DIY, so although diagonally could be right, I don't think I'd get it right

MitzyLeFrouf Thu 20-Apr-17 12:27:37

Lengthways along the longest part of the room.

Miniwookie Thu 20-Apr-17 12:30:58

Yep, down the 5m length.

scaryclown Thu 20-Apr-17 12:39:20

Some consideration:
Front to back -
in the bit on the left it will be along the line of the light from the big main window.. main light source is better shining along or you might see any unevenness in board junctions (not really a big thing if they are 'planky' anyway).
You'll be cutting boards lengthwise along doors, rather than butting up a load of ends.
You don't have a clear one wall to start from (if I've understood correctly).

Right to left along cabinets..
(assuming above sink is also light source)
Nice complete straight line to start boards along,
Kind of going with the line of the light source.
Also lines will go away from the living room door, which will be equally attractive.
I think this is the biggest area, so the fiddly bit will come last (in the bit on the left) - so if you do it this way have a nice break before doing it, or it will be mega annoying.
Less cutting along the boards to get into doorways etc - butting up is actually easier than having to cut a thin sliver lengthways to go into doorway (I know this acutely - I have a bit where it was impossible to cut a strip thin enough in my kitchen.. )

dilapidated Thu 20-Apr-17 13:50:16

Thanks!
Will go along the long length smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now