Talk

Advanced search

Moving gas meter less than a metre

(3 Posts)
otherstories Thu 20-Apr-17 10:29:49

Hallo,

I couldn't find a very recent thread with a resolution so another boring one...

We want to move the gas meter to accommodate a WC under the stairs. We've had the electricity meter moved outside at an eye watering cost, but the gas location isn't prohibitive, it would just be nice to sit on the toilet without hitting the sink...

OVO will charge ~£150 to move it less than a meter, and verbally have said both the meter box and the pipe coming in from the floor can be moved along the same wall. But they won't confirm this in writing and I am concerned that, similar to the electricity, they won't be able to move the pipe coming in (which is actually all that needs to move).

Has anyone had their supplier move the whole shebang along the same wall? If we need national grid it's not financially viable.

Thanks!

SnowBallsAreHere Thu 20-Apr-17 10:32:52

We looked at this before we redid our kitchen. In the end we were lucky as national grid was moving all those in our street to outside the front doors, at no charge. Can you ask if here is a similar plan for your street?

otherstories Sat 22-Apr-17 17:06:38

That is lucky! No plans here - have you switched to smart meters? Thames water have just installed them out the front. They are about to dig up the pavement after discovering a leak when nextdoor had their meter moved shock I suspect that won't save us £1000 though! I think we'll just have to risk OVOs option...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now