Plastering outside of my house

(17 Posts)
GretchenFranklin Thu 20-Apr-17 10:13:50

Should I do you think?

I've noticed how dreary the outside of my house looks. Both neighbours have it either side (terrace) and I'm the grubby brick one in the middle.

I thought I'd plaster it and paint it orange, nice white on the windows/sills, grey door.

Shall I?

wowfudge Thu 20-Apr-17 10:24:58

We need a photo OP. Rendering the outside of your house is a sizeable undertaking.

GretchenFranklin Thu 20-Apr-17 10:36:49

Rendering! Yes that's it.
I can't do a photo I'm supposed to be working grin

Miniwookie Thu 20-Apr-17 12:38:47

I wouldn't. You're creating future maintenance for yourself. Can you get the bricks cleaned if they're dirty and paint the painted bits (door/trim etc) instead to freshen it up?

Sallylondon Thu 20-Apr-17 17:11:29

It's hard without seeing a pic of your house and its neighbours - but if it's just for appearance's sake, I really wouldn't. As a pp has said, you are creating maintenance for yourself - repainting a whole house every five years is a big and expensive job, much more so than just doing the window frames and doors.
Also, render can damage a building, trap moisture and not allow it breathe.
Much better in my opinion to freshen with newly painted windows and doors and if have green fingers, some nice plants to soften the effect.

Sallylondon Thu 20-Apr-17 17:12:51

Btw - just noticed "Orange"??!! Are you sure?

Sallylondon Thu 20-Apr-17 17:15:20

It certainly won't look dreary!

Jellybean85 Thu 20-Apr-17 17:24:44

You can get masonry paint? So maybe paint the bricks but not plaster, not trapping moisture etc and worrying about it needing repair,

But yes orange? Why orange?confused

wowfudge Thu 20-Apr-17 21:25:17

I wondered about orange which was why I asked the OP for a photo.

GretchenFranklin Thu 20-Apr-17 22:31:38

Oh thank you for these replies everyone.

My old dad said 'never trust a painted house' so I wouldn't paint the bricks.

A tired looking house nearby didn't sell, it had cream coloured render. They've performed a right box of tricks by repainting the windows and the render is an amazing orange - not tangerine more 'Georgian orange' - blush I'm guessing it said that on the tin.

It's beautiful and I wanted my house to look like it.

I don't want years of upkeep however. Should I clean the bricks (how do I) and paint the door orange?

Sallylondon Thu 20-Apr-17 22:38:01

I would say "never trust a rendered house"... who knows what's lurking underneath?!

MaisyPops Thu 20-Apr-17 22:39:33

Render is just years of upkeep. It needs re doing and repainting etc over the years.

Most people I know have it redone every 3 years.

I wouldn't bother.
If you want to neaten it up, get nice window frames and door / strip and revarnish all the woodwork.

GretchenFranklin Thu 20-Apr-17 22:46:10

my neighbour has creak marks in their render. Is that bad?

GretchenFranklin Thu 20-Apr-17 22:47:31

how do I clean up bricks? Up a ladder with liquid and sponge? Gawd.

GretchenFranklin Thu 20-Apr-17 22:48:51

'never trust render' yep I expect dad would have said that too

SquinkiesRule Thu 20-Apr-17 23:04:07

You can hire a company to come and clean and restore your masonry. Makes it look lovely.
I would buy a brick house over a rendered or pebbledash house any day.

GretchenFranklin Thu 20-Apr-17 23:49:15

thank you squinkie

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now