Talk

Advanced search

Would you put a lock on your side gate in this situation?

(7 Posts)
dilapidated Thu 20-Apr-17 10:08:07

Our house is end of terrace with side access to rear garden.

NDN has right of way through the side access for bins, however this is not currently used by current owners as they keep their bins at the front.

I have found that there is an extremely nosy neighbour who likes to walk up the side of our house for a nose about.

We are currently renovating and not living in the house so this has just been spotted on the odd occasion we have been there.

The side gate has a pad bolt on the rear, but is placed so that you can unlock the gate from the front or back to enable us to get through and NDN if they need to.

In this situation would you add a proper rim lock with a key and give NDN a key to it just for additional security and peace of mind?

Hullabaloo31 Thu 20-Apr-17 10:13:29

Definitely. As long as everyone with a right of way has a key then I can't see a problem.

wowfudge Thu 20-Apr-17 10:59:06

Yes - get a spare key cut and kept in a safe place just in case either of you loses a key.

viques Thu 20-Apr-17 11:05:15

Yes. apart from deterring the nosy neighbour you are also making it harder for anyone else who mooches up the side of your house and gains access through your unlocked gate. One thing I have been told by crime prevention is that opportunistic thieves go for the easy option, unlocked gate ? Perfect. Locked gate? Try the next one.

didireallysaythat Thu 20-Apr-17 11:08:51

Padlock with a combination number so there's​ no key to lose ? You can change the code from time to time as well....

DailyFailstinks Thu 20-Apr-17 11:10:59

I've got the exact same situation. Gave the neighbours with the right of way a key and everyone was happy. They preferred it to be locked as well for their own security.

quirkychick Thu 20-Apr-17 11:17:21

I lived in a terrace with a passageway which I shared with one neighbour and we both had keys. On our road, the council offered lockable gates to all houses as the passageways went through the houses iyswim. Some people shared a passageway with 4 houses, but they were all offered lockable gates, with a key for each house. I think, although you might not be in it at the moment, you definitely don't want the nosy neighbour there once you move in!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now