Commutable in Essex to Liverpool Street

(22 Posts)
CauliflowerSqueeze Wed 19-Apr-17 18:21:32

not my area at all so I can't advise her, but my friend is changing job to work in Liverpool Street and wants to live in a nice area in Essex with nice schools and houses with family. Can anyone advise? She doesn't want to be more than 45 mins in the train.

GuinessPunch Wed 19-Apr-17 18:23:01

You can get a train from Liverpool Street to Gidea Park, Shenfield and Brentwood.

Sillyshell Wed 19-Apr-17 20:36:28

Kelvedon is nice and around 45 mins into the city smile

Spickle Wed 19-Apr-17 21:37:50

Best station for connections and the future Crossrail would be Shenfield (around 20/25 mins to Liverpool St), or one stop further out Ingatestone or Billericay (30 mins to Liverpool St), further out Chelmsford or Wickford or Rayleigh. Shenfield/Billericay/Ingatestone pricey though.

PigletJohn Wed 19-Apr-17 23:02:53

consider also the walk to the station at each end, and the chances of the job moving from, say, the City to the Wharf.

Rainshowers Wed 19-Apr-17 23:11:03

Shenfield is good as it's a fast train into London (just stops once). But property is expensive, particularly within walking distance of the station.

I'd say it depends on your friend's budget. Travel from Shenfield and further out is expensive too so it's worth looking at the cost of that alongside the mortgage/rent costs.

GraceGrape Wed 19-Apr-17 23:14:13

Also, end of the Central Line from Woodford to Epping. Quite a slow journey but cheaper on the tube than overland.

HonorBright Wed 19-Apr-17 23:14:55

Brentwood and Shenfield.

CauliflowerSqueeze Thu 20-Apr-17 10:15:29

Thanks all. Are there any nice villages near commutable train stations

HonorBright Thu 20-Apr-17 10:22:50

Shenfield is more villagey. Brentwood is definitely a town. What is your friend's budget and what does she need to get for it?

BitOutOfPractice Thu 20-Apr-17 13:14:46

I think Rayleigh offers a good balance of house price and commute time. Excellent schools, both primary and secondary.

Or she could live by the sea? Bit further out and more expensive but oh so tempting!

GraceGrape Thu 20-Apr-17 19:03:48

Ingatestone is a nice village with a station. I don't know what the journey is like.

CauliflowerSqueeze Thu 20-Apr-17 19:24:31

Budget probably about 850K. Needs 4 bedrooms 2 or 3 bathrooms large garden.

highinthesky Thu 20-Apr-17 19:27:27

Rayleigh and Southend are far more affordable that Brentwood / Shenfield / Billericay. Your friend might want to consider the Fenchuch St line to widen her Sth Essex options.

highinthesky Thu 20-Apr-17 19:28:06

Good budget! I'd be heading for Brentwood.

BitOutOfPractice Thu 20-Apr-17 19:28:44

You can get 5-6 bedrooms in Rayleigh for that!

CauliflowerSqueeze Thu 20-Apr-17 19:30:30

Ok thanks so much for that. Yes she's lucky with that budget. I'd be on half that!!

Garnethair Thu 20-Apr-17 19:37:07

Brentwood is at the start of the new Crossrail. It's where I would look.

HonorBright Thu 20-Apr-17 19:43:59

Shenfield is the eastern terminus, with Brentwood the next station going west.

70isaLimitNotaTarget Sat 22-Apr-17 01:26:19

Gidea Park for nice
Or Romford (bits of it are nice smile )

Romford is meant to be 29 minutes to Liverpool St once we have Crossrail <<beliebe it when I see it>>

fabulousathome Sat 22-Apr-17 01:55:48

Wanstead is nice. Live between its two Tube stations, Snaresbrook and Wanstead, and catch any tube train home from Liverpool Street Station. 30 mins on the Tube.

Pradaqueen Sat 22-Apr-17 03:20:37

Brentwood or Shenfield. Excellent reliability on travel connections to CW as well as the City. £850k will go further in Brentwood than Shenfield. Literally no bad schools at either Primary or Secondary and both towns are in Grammar catchment. Also wide variety of independent schools. This is not the same if you are looking at Gidea Park or Romford areas. If you want villages look at Ingatestone or Blackmore but the commute to the nearest station ( Ingatestone) at either end will be greater.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now