Talk

Advanced search

Utility with or without a window?

(10 Posts)
sunnysouthend Wed 19-Apr-17 17:38:30

In new house I am planning to create a utility room in current garage. Just wondering if I should convert inner half for utility without window and rely on a fan to ventilate any smells in there - or convert whole garage so that there can be an opening window although front part would still need to be used to store bikes and stuff.

Garage is integrated at front of house and no possibility of creating a utility with window anywhere else, or getting a window anywhere other than front wall as it's on the party wall (semi)

Dunno if that makes any sense?

PigletJohn Wed 19-Apr-17 18:34:17

if you have an extractor fan, you can hang washing to dry and it will suck the water vapour out. It will be better than a window that you might not want to leave open unattended.

Utility rooms without ventilation are liable to get a bit damp with sink, washer and maybe a wet mop.

Venusflytwat Wed 19-Apr-17 18:36:10

Could you do single door and small window at front- door leads to corridor with door off to utility room at front and then also leads to storage area at back for bikes etc?

sunnysouthend Wed 19-Apr-17 18:46:02

Will an extractor be enough to prevent smells and damp piglet?

I want the utility at the back of the garage as it will then lead directly off the kitchen - front would be inconvenient for my layout. smile

Semaphorically Wed 19-Apr-17 18:49:44

A utility room is the only room that I think you can have no window in. As PigletJohn says, you do need great ventilation but that's a different question.

PigletJohn Wed 19-Apr-17 19:12:28

An extractor will do the job.

If it's not built yet, have a 6-inch hole. 6 inch is more powerful than a little bathroom fan, and you could perhaps get a dual-speed one, run it slow and quiet for long periods, or high speed if the room is particularly steamy

A typical small fan will run for about 100 hours on 14p worth of electricity, so you can pretty well ignore running costs.

the new generation of fans can be very quiet, and one with a ball-bearing motor will last a long time.

sunnysouthend Wed 19-Apr-17 19:13:44

Super advice, thank you! smilesmilesmile

Fluffy24 Wed 19-Apr-17 19:16:00

Might depend on the aspect, be a real shame not to capitalise on a west or south facing window, but maybe little point if it's north facing?

sunnysouthend Wed 19-Apr-17 19:26:47

It's east facing and would open onto the front drive and car parked there - do not much of a loss! I do value the storage space for bikes etc, which I don't currently have. I am looking forward to the convenience of being able to just take bike out at front of house and go rather than faff about getting it from inconvenient storage elsewhere grin

Miniwookie Thu 20-Apr-17 08:45:36

I would definitely keep the storage space and use an extractor.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now