Talk

Advanced search

Living on top of a hill

(15 Posts)
heron98 Wed 19-Apr-17 15:01:19

Went to see a house we both loved but - it's on top of a 25% hill. And we both cycle everywhere. Would we regret this? We already live on a hill now but it's not as steep as this. Anyone got any experiences?

Svalberg Wed 19-Apr-17 15:42:07

I moved to Wales, years ago, and went from cycling everywhere (as I had done for the previous 7 years) to hardly getting the bike out for 5 years. It was the hill leading up to my house that did it for me...

specialsubject Wed 19-Apr-17 15:54:54

Snow? Ice? Car up to it? Who maintains road? Water pressure? Exposed to wind?

flapjackfairy Wed 19-Apr-17 15:57:33

Ah yes but you will always get your washing dry!
We live on top of a hill and always a breeze !

Scribblegirl Wed 19-Apr-17 15:58:12

Less of a flood risk wink

JT05 Wed 19-Apr-17 16:11:27

Are the views fantastic? If so it outweighs every thing else.

previously1474etc Wed 19-Apr-17 16:13:38

We are on a hill, not even at the high part, some of the houses are apparently subsiding but the good thing is there is no flooding. Our shed is at an angle and all the fences lean over grin.

When there is a storm we lose a fence panel and I am concerned about the trees falling on the house, one storm I feared for the top floor.

I barely go out now as I struggle to get back up the hill and boy is it blowy even at the bottom.

Just bear those things in mind, we bought it because there wasn't much else available, not because we wanted it.

Shopkinsdoll Wed 19-Apr-17 16:45:56

I live at the top of a huge huge hill. I used to have to walk up it with my double buggy, stopping half way for a rest lol. We are up in the hills, lots of fields, cows. It's lovely. A bit of a pain in the winter, trying to drive up it in the snow.

JT05 Wed 19-Apr-17 16:57:29

Saves on the gym. Good for the heart rate.

PonderLand Wed 19-Apr-17 17:03:21

We rented at the top of a hill, I'd never do it again! I was at night college at the time and had quite a lot of stuff to carry most evenings. My partner cycles and he was put off a bit by the idea of cycling back home, but he enjoyed going down it grin

jazzandh Wed 19-Apr-17 17:07:34

Well it would depend on how long the hill was...if I could get off the bike and walk for 5 minutes - ok.....much longer and it may negate cycling (although I like walking as much and it would be great for the backside!!)

Timeforabiscuit Wed 19-Apr-17 17:15:47

How long is the hill? As jazz says, if its a matter of a 5 minute push and easy to store your bike it may work well - as a hill dweller i wouldnt mind buying another house with a steep slope - but....

- The road up is narrow and visitors are fairly terrified parking on it, this is both a positive and negative grin
- The weather is fairly spectacular, seem to get more extremes of rain, wind, thunder - great for those who love those things - and im slap bang in a mundane town, i wasnt expecting that particular change
- Views of other peoples fireworks are brilliant
- I am far far fitter, walking up my hill with a full load of shopping is a good way to get exercise for a desk bound lazy person such as myself.

WicksEnd Wed 19-Apr-17 17:35:46

If it's icy you're buggered. When my kids were small I couldn't get them to school because of thick ice, we tried, we fell, we tried, we rolled grin
I had grippers on my shoes too!
This did only happen twice though in 7 years but there have been several other days where it was tricky.
The walk back up after the pub I do not miss especially when pissed
I've lived on a steeper one, broke my ankle and was housebound as we didn't drive.
I have memories of having to crawl up it on my hands and knees in the snow to get the bus so I could get to work.

Other than that...... go for it grin

dilapidated Wed 19-Apr-17 18:58:16

I used to live on a hill. Biggest hill in the nearest counties. (South of England though so not mountainous)

It was a prime spot for cyclists.

Don't be put off

flapjackfairy Wed 19-Apr-17 19:08:33

Oh yes i forgot the fantastic views of everyones fireworks ! Saved a fortune buying any of our own over the years

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now