I'm looking for a town/village in essex with a tennis club & good cycle paths

(14 Posts)
katymac Wed 19-Apr-17 08:02:24

We are moving - don't know where to yet but are considering Essex

I'd like some nice safe way to cycle around & DH would like a tennis club - he plays 4-5 times a week

Can anyone recommend where they live?

Monkeybunkey Wed 19-Apr-17 12:16:52

Dedham (north Essex, right on the Suffolk border) has a tennis club, I believe. Website here: dedhamtennis.org.uk/blog/. It's also in an area of outstanding natural beauty (Dedham Vale) with plenty of nice walks and cycle routes.

Shortdarkandfeisty Wed 19-Apr-17 12:21:05

www.theguardian.com/money/2013/sep/27/lets-move-to-brentwood-essex

Shortdarkandfeisty Wed 19-Apr-17 12:21:34

brentwood-tennis-club.co.uk.websitebuilder.prositehosting.co.uk

Shortdarkandfeisty Wed 19-Apr-17 12:22:02

I dont live there btw!

summerfruitsquash Wed 19-Apr-17 12:35:06

Brentwood not so good for cycling. The town itself is very busy and it's a hilly area. Even the surrounding area is not the safest area to cycle around as a lot of streets have on road parking, lorries often use it as a cut- through between the a12 and m25 and it's just a generally busy place. That being said, the further away from the town centre, the quieter it is.
There are country parks nearby (Weald, Thorndon) which have pathways suitable for mountain bikes, I'm not sure whether that's what you'd want though.

katymac Wed 19-Apr-17 13:15:10

Thanks everyone for all that info

I was hoping to get a little office job 2/3/4 mornings a week & cycle there (pending decisions on disance) obviously we will rent until we find our dream home - I'm just not too sure where to start looking

Spickle Wed 19-Apr-17 13:36:54

How about Stock/Billericay? Two tennis clubs one near London Road in Billericay and one in Stock Road between Billericay and Stock. It's popular with joggers and walkers too and Billericay is a buzzing little town where you might be able to find an office job!

PenguinDi Wed 19-Apr-17 13:51:09

As an Essex girl I would stick to north or west essex, there are a lot of small villages around Colchester and also the Epping area. South east essex can be pricey and busy being in the commuter belt (Southend/Basildon etc).

katymac Wed 19-Apr-17 14:55:56

Thanks - these are all places I can look

PragmaticWench Wed 19-Apr-17 15:17:09

Colchester is quite hilly but you can cycle, Chelmsford is flatter but I don't know about cycle lanes there.

katymac Wed 19-Apr-17 15:21:04

Thanks Pragmatic (I have an electric bike so a few hills are OK wink)

Svalberg Wed 19-Apr-17 15:39:12

Lots of tennis clubs in Essex

www.lta.org.uk/play/venues/?tennis-in-essex

katymac Wed 19-Apr-17 18:06:35

Wow there are thousands!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now