Talk

Advanced search

Would this worry you?

(13 Posts)
beachhaven Tue 18-Apr-17 22:33:49

This electrical substation/transformer is located at the back of a house we love. It it at end of a big garden - house backs onto train track and I think this is part of that. Day to day you would not see it, house has rear lane access so you would only see it when you go out the far rear garden gate. Would it worry you?
Any advice much appreciated.

wowfudge Tue 18-Apr-17 22:39:14

Not unless I could hear it buzzing or something like that. I imagine the noise from the train line would be more of an issue, but you get used to that.

Pinkypierainbowdash Tue 18-Apr-17 22:39:17

Yes it would worry me.

beachhaven Tue 18-Apr-17 22:47:44

The trains don't worry me, they are small two carriage trains every half an hour. Can't recall it humming.

What would you be worried about Pinkypierainbowdash

MaryPoppinsPenguins Tue 18-Apr-17 22:52:20

It wouldn't worry me... we're buying a house currently that has this at the back of the garden. It emits no noise and is no more harmful than a mobile phone...

Emily7708 Tue 18-Apr-17 23:02:55

I wouldnt be bothered about the appearance of the substation but I would be worried about EMFs. I doubt I'd buy the house without testing with an EMF meter first.

cheminotte Tue 18-Apr-17 23:05:10

There may be freight trains at night as well as the passenger ones during the day. They can be very loud.

wowfudge Tue 18-Apr-17 23:06:29

Isn't it the case that your mobile phone generates more EMFs than a substation next door?

Emily7708 Wed 19-Apr-17 01:21:52

I still personally wouldn't buy the house for several reasons. Firstly, I know the risks are very low but I would never forgive myself if my children developed leukaemia or any of the other known effects of high EMF exposure. Secondly, people are becoming more and more aware of health issues and I would be worried about resale problems in the future. Thirdly it just wouldn't sit right with me to have a substation in my garden.

Granted, the OPs photo is only a small final destination substation but there are still risks. OP if you buy the house you can request that the electricity company does an EMF check for you. Also you should make sure that the metal fence around it is always intact as that's what keeps the bulk of the EMFs from escaping.

lazydog Wed 19-Apr-17 01:24:42

How long is the garden?

lazydog Wed 19-Apr-17 01:49:47

Sorry, that was too brief. Basically, if the garden is 50ft or more it really wouldn't bother me, and that figure is just one I picked based on what I think is likely to be off-putting to buyers in the future. Safety wise the reality is that the EMF strength drops off so rapidly with distance that I'd be amazed if you measured any increased EMF (over and above the background levels you get in every property with an electrical supply) at ~20ft away from that transformer.

lazydog Wed 19-Apr-17 02:10:57

That's a final distribution substation, so likely dropping 11kV down to 230V - i.e. will produce nothing like the EM field strength generated by the 400kV National Grid powerlines strung between huge metal pylons. Now those I'd definitely not want at the end of my garden! grin

johnd2 Wed 19-Apr-17 11:12:07

Every house and pavement in the country is riddled with cables causing far more electro magnetic fields than having that thing at the end of the garden.
Just because it looks scary close up doesn't mean it's dangerous.
Wouldn't put me off any more then a grave yard. But if you're superstition then you won't be the only one so it'll be cheaper to buy and sell!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now