Talk

Advanced search

Electricity and water cost when building

(15 Posts)
LettuceMash Tue 18-Apr-17 19:04:55

The plot of land next to my house has been sold and they are about to start building a 3 bedroom detached house on it. The builder has been in touch with us asking if we would consider letting him use our outside double socket and water tap.

He's offered 100 a month for use of these and said it will prevent him needing to use a generator which will be noisy.

The plot is about ten feet away from my house so will be noisy anyway.

I have no idea if 100 a month is fair or about right or what. Anyone got any thoughts on this?

Thank you

Maggy74653 Tue 18-Apr-17 19:16:33

I have no experience of this.

However I'd be tempted to contact your electric and water companies and see what they say.

I'd also be tempted not to stick to a specific figure of £100 because what happens if it costs more than that?

I can see why not having a generator would be preferable.

LettuceMash Tue 18-Apr-17 19:33:23

I'm concerned it will cost more than that and then I'll start to get annoyed about them using them!

MrsMoastyToasty Tue 18-Apr-17 19:38:52

He will need to apply to the water company for a building supply- basically a supply from the main in the road to a standpipe with a water meter. Once building is complete the supply can be fed into the house and become the new houses supply.
He's trying to get out of paying connection charges.

LettuceMash Tue 18-Apr-17 19:41:23

Really? I initially thought no but the generator is a bit of a concern tbh/ I'm hopeless at this sort of thing and don't want to be out of pocket

Isitjustmeorisiteveryoneelse Tue 18-Apr-17 19:53:14

Firstly how can you (or anyone) possibly know how much electric and water they will use - they might all be charging their electric cars all day (they won't but you get my drift) Secondly they're going to have to connect to services anyway so they'll just have to do it sooner rather than later. Thirdly it's a build, it's going to be noisy generator or no and they'll have to comply with noise levels timings anyway. Fourthly they're not going to be using one of your household plug switches for a whole house build are they? No they'll be connecting to your supply. Where would they 'plug' their generator in? To the main supply. Why don't they want to? Cos they're hoping to screw you over the cost that's why. Also let them go ahead and you might find it invalidates your insurance if something goes wrong. Barge pole. Don't touch it with one.

LettuceMash Tue 18-Apr-17 20:05:06

Thank you, I think you're all right.

specialsubject Tue 18-Apr-17 21:30:18

And it sounds like the council planning dept should know about this cowboy.

LettuceMash Tue 18-Apr-17 21:42:16

Thanks again, I wasn't sure if I was being unreasonable tbh.

izzyislington Tue 18-Apr-17 21:48:21

I really wouldn't get involved. Don't think he's doing this out of the goodness of his heart. He's doing it to save himself hassle and probably a few quid.... It's a building site and will be noisy anyway: I think I'd rather put up with a generator than open yourself up to all sorts of potential problems. Best not to get involved.

Callofthewild Tue 18-Apr-17 23:29:59

Also the generator will only be running when they are on site (typically 8am - 6pm Monday to Friday and 8am - 1pm on Saturdays) and most likely you will be at work for the majority of that time so actually the impact to you of the generator may be minimal. It's worth noting also that the planning permission for the development will also state on it the permitted hours of work.

johnd2 Wed 19-Apr-17 11:06:17

Where we are water is 5 litres for each penny and electric 10p a unit approx.
He could get 2.50 pounds an hour from your tap and 50p an hour from your double socket. Personally I'd only agree on principle he pays for all your electric and water over that period.
When we had builders in our usage quadrupled I'm sure. So his will be the lion's share.

johnd2 Wed 19-Apr-17 11:07:43

Ps he won't use anywhere near Max water as he'd flood the site, but our builders used a fan heater and massive lights most of the time which would be maximum usage.

MrsMoastyToasty Wed 19-Apr-17 18:37:14

Don't let him.
If he's not prepared to lay on building power and water supplies the chances are that he won't connect to the mains electric and water once building has finished and the site is ready to be sold on to new occupiers ...and then you'll find yourself paying for a whole other house's usage.

LettuceMash Wed 19-Apr-17 19:24:16

I've said no, the replies here helped and I think its a bit cheeky the more I think about it.

Thanks for all your help.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now