Talk

Advanced search

Budget inframe kitchens

(10 Posts)
pb00 Mon 17-Apr-17 20:14:35

I'm trying to find the cheapest shaker style inflame kitchen with butt hinges. Basically, HJ on a budget.

Handmadekitchens-direct (HMK) have a long wait and are not exactly cheap even in the sale. DIY kitchens seem to tick all the boxes but do not offer butt hinges. Pineland is another to consider. Has anyone tried Pineland or could they offer any recommendations?

loveka Mon 17-Apr-17 20:25:14

If you are in the south east Woodworks of Lewes.

namechangedtoday15 Mon 17-Apr-17 21:54:51

Burbidge (via Units online) have butt hinges with the Salcombe kitchen I think.

PippaFawcett Mon 17-Apr-17 22:04:13

No useful advice unfortunately, but I'm just wondering why butt hinges are so important? We are just starting to think about a new kitchen so I'm just being nosey!

pb00 Mon 17-Apr-17 23:28:48

Thanks for the responses!

Why butt hinges? True blue traditional in frames have these. They are discreet and look great when one opens a door, i.e, the clunkiness of the so called "soft close' hinges is missing. Butt hinges can only be used in wood frames, not in mdf, which is why in frames commonly use these.

pb00 Mon 17-Apr-17 23:35:10

I was reading about Classic Kitchens Direct, another company which has set up close to HMK in Christchurch. They offer the same specs but at a lower price. The base cabinet with 1 door is the same price as HMK's sale price - £329, however cabinets with drawers and other types are around £100 cheaper than HMK.

NotMeNoNo Tue 18-Apr-17 13:40:35

There is nothing to stop you buying some butt hinges (Screwfix etc) and fitting them. It would be a day's work for the kitchen fitter. You could order the kitchen with doors not drilled for spring hinges if you want to avoid having the big hole on the inside, or you can blank it off with a plastic cover. I would think most in frame kitchens use timber for the outer frame, such a small section would not be practical in MDF.

You also need magnetic catches as butt hinges don't hold the doors closed.

pb00 Tue 18-Apr-17 14:34:38

Thanks, NotMeNoNo. Good idea if I can manage it. Just visited a local showroom which uses Burbidge doors on carcasses purchased from elsewhere. Burbidge apparently are a reputed and very large wooden door maker. Other brands buy from them.

I now have to think whether I can live with MFC carcasses.

NotMeNoNo Tue 18-Apr-17 15:05:29

smile I've got MFC carcases in oak finish but solid oak dovetail drawers. I was looking at a drawer yesterday which has rubbish like straws and bag clips and old lids, in it, thinking there's £10 of stuff in a £50 drawer! Seems the wrong way round!

Ramona75 Wed 19-Apr-17 11:49:17

MFC carcases seem to be the norm. It would be very expensive if you had them made from solid wood and to be honest, the units are never seen, just the doors.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now