Talk

Advanced search

Curtain advice

(7 Posts)
hoping2016 Mon 17-Apr-17 18:39:57

Hello

I'm looking to buy curtains for dd room. Window is wide so current pole is 305cm and drop is 182 cm. We would need thermal blackout lining too.

Quotes:

Dunelm £500
J lewis £350

Sewing together ready made still 250 at j lewis, also pattern will not necessarily match.

I'm wondering whether the jl £350 is reasonable? This includes 20% off until tommorow so I'm tempted but not sure if buying from a market and getting them made would be much cheaper ...... thoughts pls thank you smile

Maggy74653 Mon 17-Apr-17 19:46:30

Might be worth checking IKEA.

I have just moved into a house with very wide windows that have needed big curtains and all were coming back at £250+ however I nipped into IKEA for something else and spotted they have very large curtains for sale. I managed to get some that were 290cm wide with a 300cm drop for less than £50. Have only hung one set so far but they seem good quality.

EineKleine Mon 17-Apr-17 19:56:42

Try online places like 247 curtains. They'll do online quotes and make to your exact measurements.

They won't come close to ikea prices unless you find readymades, but they might beat JL.

thenewaveragebear1983 Mon 17-Apr-17 20:40:23

We have bought reasonable blackouts from the range and from b&m before. They categorically were not £500.

Our lounge curtains are from b&q, they were about 100 per pair. We have a 4m wide window so bought 2 pairs. Cut one curtain right up the middle and sew to the other pair (to make 2 x 1.5 width curtains IYSWIM) then used the remaining curtain to cover our window seat and make some cushions.
I think 168 is a standard drop for curtains so there should be reasonable choice in bigger stores for that length.

hoping2016 Mon 17-Apr-17 21:47:40

Just checked Jl and fabric sold out!! Ahh!!

mrscrocopop Mon 17-Apr-17 22:17:07

I think £350 for curtains that wide is absolutely reasonable.
We have really wide windows in our house too - it's so expensive!!!

mineofuselessinformation Mon 17-Apr-17 22:26:19

I have just hung curtains and nets from ikea to fit 3.4m width by 2.10m drop for £98, including the poles. It took two pairs of curtains and nets to fit the width.
You would probably want blackout lining in place of the nets, but it should be less expensive than your quotes if you can use a sewing machine.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now