Talk

Advanced search

Garden structures and planning permission.

(5 Posts)
Clarence81 Mon 17-Apr-17 15:54:20

I have come home to find a 10-12 foot 'garden shed' within 10cm of my garden fence today. This thing is huge with a gable roof! I am estimating the height at the moment but it is way taller than the garden fences and at present can not see if it is one storey or two. I can not go and nosey as said neighbour is in and as it is a cut-de-sac, there is no excuse for me to be next to her house if she sees me! With my garden being L shaped, it us directly opposite my living room. It will surely block sunlight into half of my garden. What are the rule on height and proximity to boundaries pls? I am contemplating contacting the planning department this week or finding a bunch of termites.

HiDBandSIL Mon 17-Apr-17 16:55:02

Here you go:

ecab.planningportal.co.uk/uploads/miniguides/outbuildings/Outbuildings.pdf

If it's 10cm from your boundary then the max height seems to be 2.5m. If permitted development rights have been suspended (conservation area /AONB) then everything needs PP.

Clarence81 Mon 17-Apr-17 17:09:37

Thank you, there was a man in (yep in) my garden treating the wood up a ladder and a rough estimate was twice his height. I have taken a photograph of the offending structure with him treating the wood. It is that close to the boundary that you would not be able to fit down between the fence to upkeep the structure. I will get onto the planning department in the morning and hopefully get around the front when she goes out.

HiDBandSIL Wed 19-Apr-17 19:55:10

Did you have any joy with the planning office clarence? I wonder what the structure is intended to be used for. It sounds much too tall for a conventional shed.

Clarence81 Sun 23-Apr-17 09:56:21

I have spoken with the planning office and they confirmed that structures should be less than 2.5m if they are within 2m of a boundary. They have requested I send as much information - measurements from my boundary, photographs etc and they will investigate if it breaches regulations. Thank you for your help.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now