Talk

Advanced search

Hertford

(45 Posts)
user1483644229 Sun 16-Apr-17 22:06:05

I am looking at properties in Hertford. Is there a history of flooding there? Are there good and no so good parts in the area? It's potential flooding that I am mainly concerned about.

Jibberoo Sun 16-Apr-17 22:14:22

Hertford is lovely. There was a by of flooding around river Mimram a couple of years ago but the houses are built to withstand it there so there was no issue.

user1483644229 Sun 16-Apr-17 22:19:47

Thanks Jibberoo. Are there parts of Hertford that would just never flood (on a bit of a hill for example)? Agree it is lovely there!

SparklesandBangs Sun 16-Apr-17 22:23:35

Plenty of houses on hills in Hertford, what areas are you looking at and what are you looking for in a house

QuitMoaning Sun 16-Apr-17 22:25:44

Hertford is quite hilly, only the town centre is low down. All the main hosing areas involve a hill.
It is a lovely town, lived here for 6 years, and nearby for previous 13 years.

dotdotdotmustdash Sun 16-Apr-17 22:26:18

Hurricanes hardly happen. That's go to be a good thing.

(Scottish person leaves thread).

user1483644229 Sun 16-Apr-17 22:30:18

Gad been considering Wate but need to look at some other options as not a lot of choice in Ware (another lovely place). Looking at a very typical family home close enough to walk to train station in around 10 mins max but with no chance of flooding

user1483644229 Sun 16-Apr-17 22:31:51

Sorry also haven't explained that I have visited just once so far and so didn't recall if hills etc (sounds like there are). Will start revisiting much more now as is coming into scope

user1483644229 Sun 16-Apr-17 22:32:19

*Ware (autocorrect)

QuitMoaning Sun 16-Apr-17 22:34:22

Hertford and Ware are both quite small but Hertford has two stations.
A 10 minute walk should get you most places but depends on the budget.
Have you spent much time in the town?

SparklesandBangs Sun 16-Apr-17 22:37:39

Hope you have deep pockets

user1483644229 Sun 16-Apr-17 22:40:01

No I haven't yet. I wanted to get thoughts on here first before starting to visit more often. I think if I was being told that yes it is all flat and it floods, then I was going to perhaps not consider it but it sounds like this is not the case which is good news. I have been visiting Ware a bit and so understand what's what there but need to get to know Hertford too by the sounds of things

user1483644229 Sun 16-Apr-17 22:41:34

Ware seems quite expensive compared to Hertford? In terms of how far your budget would go.

SparklesandBangs Sun 16-Apr-17 22:45:03

No Hertford is more expensive.
4 bed will be over £500

Jibberoo Sun 16-Apr-17 22:51:12

Hertford is definitely expensive but there are more options here than ware. You can opt for Bengeo if you have deep pockets or sele farm if you don't. Either way hertford is an excellent place to live. Commuting to London takes an hour which is a joke considering how close hertford is. But at least there are 2 train lines to choose from and you get a seat in the morning!
Don't worry about the flooding - really not an issue.

user1483644229 Sun 16-Apr-17 22:54:07

I am looking at 3 bedroom and will even consider 2 bed if there is possibility to add a room later down the line. Options on Rightmove between Ware and Hertford seem to differ a bit in that the places in Hertford appear to need less doing to them before moving in. The standard of interior seems better. I will really only work this out when I get to the point of viewing I suspect but if I can save myself the hassle of working this out sooner rather than later that would be great!

user1483644229 Sun 16-Apr-17 22:57:12

Thanks Jibberoo that's handy to know

CountMagnus Mon 17-Apr-17 05:23:37

Best to check the Environment Agency flood risk maps - link here

user1483644229 Mon 17-Apr-17 06:37:00

Thanks Counsgnus. Really helpful. I had been using another govt. site but this one is much better. Thanks

Enelya Mon 17-Apr-17 06:58:14

If you are commuting to London, then look at the difference between the train lines. Hertford North is a faster line that goes to somewhere central (I think Kings cross?). Hertford East lines goes to Ware and then on to Tottenham Hale and Liverpool Street. That could make a major difference to your onward commute.

Ware has some new builds coming this summer, so that might be an option for you.

You could also look at Stanstead Abbots, which also has a train station.

Enelya Mon 17-Apr-17 07:04:42

To answer your actual questions, Flooding isn't as big a problem as you might expect because the river and canal can be managed. The only place I know that floods is a block of flats at the bottom of a hill that gets surface run off from the estate about!

Both H and W have less nice areas, but they are just that, a little bit less nice. Not like some towns with "bad" areas. SA is also nice, and a little bit cheaper.

HomeExtender Mon 17-Apr-17 08:37:02

Hertford North goes to Moorgate (Kings Cross at the weekends) & is the more reliable line. Takes under 50 minutes. Hertford East goes to Liverpool Street. I have lived in Hertford for 17 years & am very happy here. Didn't know much about it until we moved from London. There is a lovely big park called Hartham so check that out when you next visit. Lovely walks along the canal to Ware & down to London. Places that have flooded since we've lived here is the field on the flood plain on Beane Road by the River - Molewood Road has houses along the perimeter. Also Riversmead but am unsure if any houses actually flooded. It is a lovely town.

QuitMoaning Mon 17-Apr-17 09:36:19

Hertford is more expensive than Ware but not entirely sure why. Both have good points.
Hertford has more to do in the evening with lots of restaurants etc. Some of them chains but there are some independents too so a good mix. Hertford has a castle too!
Come down and visit the towns when there is stuff going on (rock in the castle / priory) and normal days to get a feel. I am very happy Living here.
I really like Enelya description saying there are less nice areas but that hits the nail on the head. Nowhere is really bad.
And I live on one of the less nice areas and we have had no trouble at all.

user1483644229 Mon 17-Apr-17 10:05:02

Thank you all so much. This is a big step we are taking and I feel good about these areas but want to get it right. You have all been so helpful and this is much appreciated 🙂

QuitMoaning Mon 17-Apr-17 10:14:31

Where are you moving from?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now