Tile Doctor?

(8 Posts)
eastwest Sun 16-Apr-17 20:41:05

Has anyone used the products and would you recommend them?
It's for quarry tiles. Just moved into a house that needs work, and we seem to have a lot of them!

eastwest Sun 16-Apr-17 20:42:49

sorry, this is the link: www.tiledoctor.co.uk/shop/category.aspx/help-with-tile-and-stone/1/

wowfudge Sun 16-Apr-17 20:58:37

I contacted them - think they are a franchise business. We decided not to restore the tile floor in the end - it's covered in concrete screed. If the floor needs work I'd get a quote for them to clean and seal it and consider just maintenance myself.

eastwest Sun 16-Apr-17 21:15:59

Thanks - were they expensive, did you think? I was planning to have a go myself rather than hire them in. It's been under lino, the glue is coming off slowly with scrubbing, but there's a lot of white marking that I think is the salts 'blooming' through, that doesn't come off.

wowfudge Mon 17-Apr-17 06:33:26

I didn't go as far as getting a quote, but they seemed professional and the local franchise holder had lots of photos of his work and testimonials on his website. Having given lots of things a go myself in the past, I am of the opinion that some time consuming, back breaking jobs are best left to the professionals and worth paying for.

Dadsussex Mon 17-Apr-17 18:55:33

We have a Victorian chequer board entrance hall tiles in black and buff....
Lithofin products (can get from amazon) work well on quarry tiles, you can get the cleaner/degreaser and polish - all have worked well but the polish takes 5 ish coats to get a nice shine/Matt finish. Coats take a few minute to put on

However, if your floor is in poor condition and needs repair work, try finding a local stonemason maybe. Our local mason charges about £16/hr and tbh repairing and fitting quarry tiles is a waste of his skill set but he did a fantastic job on our floor before we then used the lithofin products

Miniwookie Mon 17-Apr-17 19:19:05

Yes I used floor doctor products on my hall floor tiles 1920s house - unglazed tiles. I used 'strip and go' and 'seal and go' and they came up lovely. I stripped and sealed them 3 yrs ago and they could do with resealing now, though I think the stuff said to do it once a year. I use the neutral tile cleaner for cleaning them. You can't use normal cleaner on them as it strips the seal off. The neutral tile cleaner lasts ages as you just use a splash in a bucket of water.

Miniwookie Mon 17-Apr-17 19:20:35

Should add, mine didn't have the white stuff on them, just lots of dirt!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now