Talk

Advanced search

How would you lay out this living room? (pics)

(7 Posts)
EssentialHummus Sun 16-Apr-17 11:44:31

Any ideas gratefully received.

We have a large-ish living room in our new flat, with a galley-type kitchen off one end. I'd like a large seating area and a large table, and most of all to avoid having to navigate furniture in odd places to get to the kitchen. There will be a little eating area in the kitchen, so getting from one room to the other with food is less critical.

Bonus points for
- a little corner for reading, with an armchair and lamp
- built-in bookshelves
- somewhere to put a small TV without it being the centre of attention
- DH wants a wall to project films onto <questions choice of DH>

EssentialHummus Sun 16-Apr-17 11:46:23

Pics hopefully attached.

EssentialHummus Sun 16-Apr-17 11:47:30

One more.

EssentialHummus Tue 18-Apr-17 11:13:57

Bump! Anyone?

Rupster Tue 18-Apr-17 15:09:01

Tricky!

You would probably want a pathway through the room from the entrance through to the kitchen.

If you want a large table to eat at, I think you may need to put it in front of the two windows.

Generally you'd want the fireplace to be a focal point of the room. Maybe put the TV to the right of the fireplace, fixed to the wall or, dare I say it, on the chimney breast above the fire?

Large sofa on opposite wall to fireplace? Maybe another chair/sofa to left of fireplace and facing towards the kitchen?

Surpriseeggsforbreakfast Tue 18-Apr-17 15:48:54

sounds as though your doorway is opposite the fireplace from what I can make out, so I'd probably put a sofa where windows are . Built in shelving on alcove to the left of the fireplace, armchair on right side and TV to the right of the doorway to the kitchen, possibly on a large sideboard for storage.

NoSquirrels Tue 18-Apr-17 16:02:51

I think your DH may need to accept that the projector wall can't happen with everything else you need to get in there. Problem is you don't have enough clear walls you can also have comfy seating opposite... (I feel your pain as we have to design living room around the film projector too!)

Looking into the room from the window wall, I'd either have:

Plan A) large dining table to right of kitchen entrance (keep wall clear for potential projection?), then sofa & chair under window/ Lshaped sofa, built in bookshelves in the alcoves by fireplace - long alcove put TV on bookshelf, easy chair/reading nook by small alcove.

Or plan B) ... ditch idea of large dining table and instead go for very large coffee table and eat Moroccan style with guests? More options for space that way...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now