Talk

Advanced search

Japanese Knotweed Problem

(4 Posts)
beachbodyunready Sun 16-Apr-17 09:01:46

I think we have Japanese Knotweed angry, and it's starting to sprout up through our brick driveway! I know that we have to get in the experts but does anyone know how much it's likely to cost? Or if the house insurance will cover it? The affected patch is about 1m square and I think the roots are coming from a neighbouring property.

Lunenburg Sun 16-Apr-17 09:14:39

It will cost less to deal with it now than it will in a few weeks / months.

There are companies online who offer a professional service to destroy roots as well as obvious growth.

BUT if it is coming from a neighbouring property that needs dealing with. It is an offence under the Wildlife & Countryside act to allow JK to grow in the wild and I believe that there is legal precedent whereby you can require your neighbour to pay for the cost of and treatment or damage if you can prove the roots have come from their property.

Do your research and don't waste time. It will be growing very rapidly at this stage of the year and the problem will only get worse.

Lunenburg Sun 16-Apr-17 09:17:01

Sorry, didn't answer your questions.

Cost depends on size infestation. Most companies will give an indication before starting work.

I don't think House Insurance does cover it, but it would be worth checking.

CountMagnus Sun 16-Apr-17 09:41:46

If it is coming from your neighbour then it comes under civil law as a private nuisance, although the Anti Social Behavior etc Act has been amended to mean that someone with invasive plants can be required to take measures to control them and preventing spreading to the wider community.

Most insurance companies won't cover your home for damage caused by Japanese knotweed but if it is coming from your neighbour them they will pursue them to recover any costs. Also check your policy for legal expenses cover?

And absolutely deal with it now - it grows very fast, and as it has to be disposed of as controlled waste (expensive) you want to minimise how much has to be disposed of.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now