Talk

Advanced search

L shaped kitchen with table instead of island?

(12 Posts)
Whattodowithaminute Sat 15-Apr-17 16:34:17

Currently planning open plan kitchen dining room. Ideally would like to get a sofa and toys in as well to make it the main room of the house as children still little (5,3, 8mo). Looking at rough plans I think we can get an l shaped kitchen in and if we used the main table where the island would traditionally go we would till have room for the 'living room' zone. I think the layout plans re limited by having (already in) double French doors along one wall.

Do you think this would work? The room is 4.5 m by 8m.

madeleinecreek Sat 15-Apr-17 19:18:31

I'd say kitchen islands these days go where the kitchen table would "traditionally" go!

Whattodowithaminute Sat 15-Apr-17 21:01:21

I think you are probably right but it seems against the grain in many ways these days? Our kitchen will be quite modern and not sure it will fit. Probably over thinking (as I'm sure I will multiple decisions over the next few months) though...

madeleinecreek Sat 15-Apr-17 21:35:08

I guess you could always add an island down the line when you're ready to move the sofa area out because the kids are older? I don't love islands though so maybe not best places to advise!

RandomMess Sat 15-Apr-17 21:38:20

I think islands will go out of fashion!

We have an L shaped room with kitchen area with a large dining table and then family area with TV , sofas.

Bluntness100 Sat 15-Apr-17 21:47:29

Why don't you get a kitchen designer to have a look, Wickes will send someone round and mock it up for free. you might be able to build in a peninsula and it would fit the room much better than a table. Islands or peninsulas do tend to optimise the space better plus they tie the kitchen together in one design, hence their popularity.

Whattodowithaminute Sun 16-Apr-17 07:32:33

bluntness you are right we need to get someone round but we don't own the property yet; due to exchange next week but need to get it going asap after completion as will be keeping our rented house whilst the work is being undertaken.
madeleine and randon you are also right that it could be put in later which is a really helpful perspective. It's hard not to be getting swept away with all of the details. Did think last night I could change the orientation of the kitchen too which I hadn't even considered...

madeleinecreek Sun 16-Apr-17 09:18:01

I'd pay @OnePlanOnHouzz to do you a design if you won't be able to live with the kitchen a whole before changing it - I've seen her thoughts on various threads and they are always amazing, I can only imagine how good her paid work is!

EineKleine Sun 16-Apr-17 09:23:42

A kitchen designer from a shop that sells kitchens will probably try to sell you an island.

I'd prioritise a table over an island myself. It's great for food prep if you like sitting down, and we can eat properly as a family around a table. It sounds like you have a really good size room though.

You just need to find the right table, maybe black or white rather than wood?

coxsorangepippin Sun 16-Apr-17 09:26:18

We have the same size room and a similar setup. L shape modern kitchen, with the long bit of the L against the shorter (5m) wall, and a dining table instead of an island. The dining table is a huge round wooden one, and the shape really helps make the transition to the living area because it means there isn't a straight line dividing them

Whattodowithaminute Sun 16-Apr-17 11:00:32

Ooooh cox hadn't thought of a round table, glad the setup works though 😃. We always eat at a table together so think it would get a lot of use and the children love to do art and craft stuff too so they could do that whilst I'm keeping an eye on them. madeleine will head off to check out one plans details!

OnePlanOnHouzz Mon 17-Apr-17 16:30:02

Just seen this !
Thanks for the mention MadelineCreek flowers

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now